vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Aggressive mantis shrimp wash ashore on Delaware beaches after storm​

Shannon Marvel McNaught, Delaware News Journal - 10h ago

Out beachcombing or taking a look at conditions after the storm? Keep your distance from mantis shrimp, and make sure your pets do too.
A tub of mantis shrimp, a cross between prawns and lobsters.
A tub of mantis shrimp, a cross between prawns and lobsters.© Veronica Gould Stoddart,, USA TODAY
Many Delaware beaches, including Dewey Beach and Delaware Seashore State Park, reported mantis shrimp on their beaches Wednesday, and they're likely to wash up manybeaches after a storm. Also known as "thumb splitters," the aggressive crustaceans can easily injure a human or pet.
Though you never know what kind of marine life you'll find on the beach, the mantis shrimp species most seen on Delmarva (according to iNaturalist) is squilla empusa, the west Atlantic mantis shrimp. This species has "a pair of long, jackknife claws that resemble a praying mantis," which they use "to spear or slice through prey with a quick, slashing motion," according to the Chesapeake Bay Program.

"The strike velocity of a mantis shrimp’s large, powerful claws is one of the fastest movements of any animal on earth," the Chesapeake Bay Program's profile on the species says. "It takes a mantis shrimp less than 8 milliseconds to strike, which is about 50 times faster than the blink of a human eye."
Adult western Atlantic mantis shrimp grow to be about 8 to 10 inches long, according to the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology. They can be found from Cape Cod to the Gulf of Mexico, as well as along the coast of Brazil and in the Mediterranean Sea, and favor muddy intertidal zones.

1665184231755.png

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These being the spearing type, they would never be able to break glass. It’s mostly a myth that the smashing types are able to break glass. Only the largest O. Scyllarus might be able to. And even then it would probably need to be thin or compromised glass. Although I never took a chance and added plexiglass to the bottom of my old mantis tank .

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep like mentioned above, it would have to be very thin glass or cracked/chipped already. And the mantis would have to be full grown or almost to it, besides the chiragras which are the hardest hitting ones although they stay small

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back