Mantis shrimp with other fish?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cdemoss01
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cdemoss01

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2023
Messages
6,334
Reaction score
21,829
Location
Roanoke
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am going to put a wennerae mantis shrimp in a ten gallon long tank. I was wondering if with coral could I put some sort of other fish with the mantis shrimp? Examples: clownfish, damsels, or a goby/blenny of some sort? Let me know if you guys know anything! I heard the wennerae are less aggressive?
 
I have an orchid dottyback in my 15g my 15g with my curacaoensis. They're pals. Neither one minds the other in the least.
 
A
I have an orchid dottyback in my 15g my 15g with my curacaoensis. They're pals. Neither one minds the other in the least.
Alright. I was thinking of putting a pair of clownfish in there but i'm not sure.. it would also be cool too put a yellow watchmen in or possibly a dottyback what do you think #reefsquad ?
 
Putting fish in a small tank with a mantis shrimp will always come with risks. Have a backup plan if it doesn't seem to work out.

An orchid dotty back would be my pick, because they are very aggresive fish, and the mantis shrimp might leave it alone.
 
A

Alright. I was thinking of putting a pair of clownfish in there but i'm not sure.. it would also be cool too put a yellow watchmen in or possibly a dottyback what do you think #reefsquad ?

I wouldn't go for a goby or any other fish that likes to live near the sand. I feel like that is just tempting fate. Just my opinion
 
I haven't kept a mantis, but I'll give my opinion anyway. Ha.

It looks like that species is a small one, 3-4"?

I still wouldn't keep it with small fish that I cared about. Motile inverts like crabs would be food. Fish would be safer but not safe. A cheap damsel, I would try. I would think that corals would be okay.
 
Thank you everyone. I will probably try a dottyback or some clownfish not sure yet though.
Sounds good! Like I said many times before, I will be very interested to see what you end up with!
 
People will often throw a damsel in with a smasher because they're cheap, fast, hardy, and assertive. That would be imo the best choice if you choose to add a fish.
 
IMO, don't do it. The most at risk fish with a mantis are small ones, and only small ones are going to fit in a 10G in the long term. If you had some more space, you'd have some more options, but most of what I think would be comfortable in a small space could just be food for it.
 
Thank you all. I will do some careful consideration BUT I know that i'm getting a mantis : D
 
I don't buy food specifically for him. I have 5 tanks, of which my largest is a 110g predator tank. I have krill, octopus, clams, shrimp, etc. on hand at all times. I also keep several small crabs - hermits & emerald - as snacks/friends in the tank as well.

Mine is very active and has quite the personality.
 
I don't buy food specifically for him. I have 5 tanks, of which my largest is a 110g predator tank. I have krill, octopus, clams, shrimp, etc. on hand at all times. I also keep several small crabs - hermits & emerald - as snacks/friends in the tank as well.

Mine is very active and has quite the personality.
Thank you could I just feed it some LRS food?
1708372664280.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new