Mantis Shrimp Lights

Rdela568

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a mantis shrimp tank and want to keep easy corals like mushrooms and palys but I’ve read that light is no good. I have a JBJ 100 watt Pacifica LED that I would use and run under all actinics 8-10 hours a day. Is there any way this would work or would it just be way too much light?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy as in soft and lps coral ?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the light imo

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some believe it is caused by bad water quality...i think its light related so i keep my tank dark just ambient light unless im doing maintenance or taking pics...

OP
OP
R

Rdela568

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some believe it is caused by bad water quality...i think its light related so i keep my tank dark just ambient light unless im doing maintenance or taking pics...

Have you ever had any problems with it?

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of Mantis shrimp do you have? I have an N. wennerae and I have a standard light on the tank. It was just a left over bulb I had from an old freshwater planted aquarium and it grows mushroom corals and Xenia no problem. Also my mantis (Langston) doesn't come out when I have a bunch of ambient light (from the room) on plus the tank light so I would try to not get too bright of lights.

OP
OP
R

Rdela568

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of Mantis shrimp do you have? I have an N. wennerae and I have a standard light on the tank. It was just a left over bulb I had from an old freshwater planted aquarium and it grows mushroom corals and Xenia no problem. Also my mantis (Langston) doesn't come out when I have a bunch of ambient light (from the room) on plus the tank light so I would try to not get too bright of lights.

I have Blue LEDs that I’m going to use but I’m also going to try to provide a lot of rock cover to not let light through.

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you should be good, although if you have one of the larger species of mantis shrimps they are more susceptible to shell rot so I would watch out. But I don't think you will have a problem with any of the smaller ones.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes should have mentioned i have a peacock...and he did have a small spot of rot on his tail when i got him...2 molts later its gone...should have documented it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back