Mantis shrimp tank

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small (3") mantis shrimp that I collected in the Florida Keys while snorkeling (it was about 1.5" when I collected it). So I started a 40g breeder tank as an AIO tank and mostly keep local collected stuff in the tank... except for 2 clownfish that a friend gave me when he was shutting down his tank. Mine has a lot of zoas (mostly green and from the Keys), encrusting gorgonian coral, RFA's, rock boring urchins, small yellow sea cucumber, an emerald crab, a sea star and a variety of snails & hermit crabs... all collected in the Keys.

I feed the fish some flake food every 2 or 3 days and I feed the anemones (and the mantis) meaty food every week (more or less).

I've had this set up for about 18 months now.

If you have any specific questions, just ask and I'll try to help.

OP
OP
S

STLJam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small (3") mantis shrimp that I collected in the Florida Keys while snorkeling (it was about 1.5" when I collected it). So I started a 40g breeder tank as an AIO tank and mostly keep local collected stuff in the tank... except for 2 clownfish that a friend gave me when he was shutting down his tank. Mine has a lot of zoas (mostly green and from the Keys), encrusting gorgonian coral, RFA's, rock boring urchins, small yellow sea cucumber, an emerald crab, a sea star and a variety of snails & hermit crabs... all collected in the Keys.

I feed the fish some flake food every 2 or 3 days and I feed the anemones (and the mantis) meaty food every week (more or less).

I've had this set up for about 18 months now.

If you have any specific questions, just ask and I'll try to help.

The tank will be for the Mantis only, I am looking at a 2.5G or 5G tank. Would all i need is tank, heater, sand, rock?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of mantis do you have? 2.5-5G may be (most people would say is) too small for the vast majority of mantis species.
Would all i need is tank, heater, sand, rock?
Yeah, a cycled tank, heater, sand, rock, and something to add flow to the tank/oxygenate the water (like a pump, powerhead, or airstone) is all you need.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be for the Mantis only, I am looking at a 2.5G or 5G tank. Would all i need is tank, heater, sand, rock?
And a small pump. Some kind of light might be a good idea as well.

I use a 7g bucket with just a bubbler, a pump, and heater to keep things I collect when snorkeling alive for 2 or 3 days until I can get them home (a 5 hour drive). I almost never lose anybody except for an occasional, very delicate animal.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So what would I need in a mantis shrimp tank setup? I caught one in my TBS live rock and thinking of giving him his own small tank.
Did you end up starting a tank for the mantis? Love to see photos and hear how it is going.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back