Mantis shrimp.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do mantis shrimp move so fast you can’t see them? Saw this a little while ago. 1/2” or so but literally just disappeared and can’t see it
Move in the video.

IMG_1385.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1384.mov
    25.7 MB

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do mantis shrimp move so fast you can’t see them? Saw this a little while ago. 1/2” or so but literally just disappeared and can’t see it
Move in the video.

IMG_1385.jpeg
I believe so, but if you are wondering if it's a mantis shrimp, it looks exactly like one.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they just disappear though? I have heard the clicking but never saw it until today. So piece of fish in a beer bottle to catch?
Well, they obviously don't disappear lol, but I assume that it had its cave nearby, and it was able to move fast enough that you weren't able to see where it went.

Not sure how to catch it, because I have never had to lol.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they obviously don't disappear lol, but I assume that it had its cave nearby, and it was able to move fast enough that you weren't able to see where it went.

Not sure how to catch it, because I have never had to lol.
Adding on to this.

I watched the video again, and you can see that it went to the left, so I assume that's where it's cave is.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Move in the video.

IMG_1385.jpeg
They do as they have a series of fans and Hide very well but their clicking often gives them away as to their location

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do they just disappear though? I have heard the clicking but never saw it until today. So piece of fish in a beer bottle to catch?
I used a fish trap baiting with shrimp to catch mine in the past

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a wennerae come in on some tbs live rock about 20 years ago. Hardly every saw it. Maybe caught a glimpse of it about 10 times in 5 years or so. Only grew to be about 2.5-3" long. Never bothered fish to my knowledge. I'm sure he helped himself to cuc, but between reproducing ceriths, nassarius and stomatellas, I never longed for more snails.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a fish trap baiting with shrimp to catch mine in the past
going to have to figure that out since there's a two spot octopus in there. I believe I know which hole the mantis is in but it is the rock right next to the octopus den. and I need to move 5 rocks that sit on top of them.

IMG_1388.jpeg

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding on to this.

I watched the video again, and you can see that it went to the left, so I assume that's where it's cave is.
I could not tell where it went. I went frame by frame and it was there then wasn't. but I see something in a hole near where I saw him which was actually to the right of where he was.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
going to have to figure that out since there's a two spot octopus in there. I believe I know which hole the mantis is in but it is the rock right next to the octopus den. and I need to move 5 rocks that sit on top of them.

IMG_1388.jpeg
If you are positive this is where the Mantis dwells, should be quick and easy to yank the rock and place in container until mantis comes out. One way to lure it out is to add a snail or ghost shrimp

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesnt look like a mantis shrimp, looks like a normal looking shrimp it has the body type of a shrimp

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesnt look like a mantis shrimp, looks like a normal looking shrimp it has the body type of a shrimp
it's got big eyes like a mantis though. I do hear a series of 3 clicks and sometimes a fourth from time to time. it was the first time in 4 months that I actually saw it. the blues were on and wanted to catch it on video as soon as possible. the phone controls the Hydra so couldn't switch and it was only there briefly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back