Mantis shrimp

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was thinking of getting a 40 gallon and putting dividers and putting a peacock mantis shrimp and a wart frog fish or something like that could I do that

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was thinking of getting a 40 gallon and putting dividers and putting a peacock mantis shrimp and a wart frog fish or something like that could I do that
You would want the whole 40 for the mantis they get pretty big

I used to have one

Also glass is not a good idea the baser type will break glass

I used to have one came as a hitchhiker kept it for 5 years in its own acrylic box

They are really smart and have one of the best eye sights on record

they can be trained i did mine

This shows how hard they hit

I has a 5 inch black one break a 20l glass tank took a month of him trying to carve out the glass as part of his cave broke the back wall right out

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would want the whole 40 for the mantis they get pretty big

I used to have one

Also glass is not a good idea the baser type will break glass

I used to have one came as a hitchhiker kept it for 5 years in its own acrylic box

They are really smart and have one of the best eye sights on record

they can be trained i did mine

This shows how hard they hit

I has a 5 inch black one break a 20l glass tank took a month of him trying to carve out the glass as part of his cave broke the back wall right out
What if I get a 20 long for it or does it absolutely need a 40

Upvote 0

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I get a 20 long for it or does it absolutely need a 40
I had a all black 5 inch basher type never fully identified as a hitchhiker I moved to a 20 l it lived for 5 years there before kid killed tank it did break the backwall of the glass 1 time was just over 5 inches at the time about a year in replaced with acrylic and was fine was about 7 inches when it died

They need really good water parameters

A dark place and I would recommend either no light other then ambient room light or one not powerfull enoff to grow aglgie

Like the cheap leds that come on tetra tank for example still some light to bring out color but not enoff to really do much

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldn't be great. Mantis should be in a species only tank, and frogfish have a few unique care requirements

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could fit one Wartskin Angler or Marble Mouth Angler (very rarely available in the hobby) frogfish in a twenty, but only one.

A Peacock mantis should really be housed singly in more like a 30 gallon tank for long term care from what I've read. Also, while they can be housed in glass - as was mentioned above - they should probably be housed in an acrylic tank just to be safe.

That said, if you really wanted to put both in the same large tank with a divider splitting the tank into two separate sections (acting as two separate tanks with one tank for the mantis and the other for the angler) that should be fine.

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could fit one Wartskin Angler or Marble Mouth Angler (very rarely available in the hobby) frogfish in a twenty, but only one.

A Peacock mantis should really be housed singly in more like a 30 gallon tank for long term care from what I've read. Also, while they can be housed in glass - as was mentioned above - they should probably be housed in an acrylic tank just to be safe.

That said, if you really wanted to put both in the same large tank with a divider splitting the tank into two separate sections (acting as two separate tanks with one tank for the mantis and the other for the angler) that should be fine.
Given the needs of both, personally I think it would be better just to have two different tanks.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back