Manual dosing for complete noob?

Neon_reefboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its time boys. Its time to start looking at dosing for real. Time to take it to the next level.
1. Which tests should i get, and for which elements
2. Best brands to use
3. How to dose them by hand
4. Whqt are the levels you would keep in a mixed reef
Thanks in advance reefers!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk Hanna
Ca Salifert
Mag Salifert
Po4 Hanma
No3 Elos
These are what I use

ESV-B Ionic 2 part
I prefer close to NSW levels
Alk 7-8
Ca 420-450
Mag 1300-1400

I run a carx in my 120 and dose by hand in my 45 frag/lagoon system.

Dosing by hand is simple. Just follow the ESV directions and test to determine levels.
Their are many posts here on how to dose just use the search function.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Pro tests for Alk/Cal/Mag although I have heard nothing but great things about the Hanna checker for Alk. I actually just use a Trident now so I haven't bothered getting the Hanna checker. The only other things I test for are nitrate (Salifert) and phosphate (Hanna).

For dosing I use Randy's diy recipe and for alk I used baked baking soda and for calcium I just started using bulk calcium chloride from Bulk Reef Supply. I had been using prestone driveway heat for calcium but it was leaving this pink goo in my dosing container that made me a little nervous.

Dosing by hand isn't hard just add however much of each solution that you need to a high flow area daily (just don't add both at the same time). I would personally look into dosing pumps, even the cheap kamoer pumps work well and are less tedious than doing it by hand. For instance I now go a month without having to do anything with dosing and even then it's just filling up the containers.

I keep alk around 8, calcium around 450, and magnesium stays around 1350 (my AWC I guess is enough to replenish it since I never dose it).

The worst part of dosing is figuring out what amount you need to dose and that isn't that bad. Either measure for several days to see how much it's dropping, or just start by dosing a small amount and wait a few days to see where the levels stabilize at. If too low add a little more to your dosage. The key in the beginning is testing a lot.

Back