Manual fleece roller?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you know if someone makes a manual fleece roller for a larger tank? I've seen them for smaller aio but not for larger tanks. I love the idea of a fleece roller but do want the automation not to mention upfront cost. I dislike the automation more than the cost really. I don't really care if I forget to advance it and water overflows back into the tank as that's no worse than when the socks start to overflow which is ussualy when I decide to change them.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the non reefmat rollers, yeah they are motors but are super simple. Basically a float switch closes, motor energizes and advances the roll.
And if you really want it to be fully manual, leave it unplugged and plug it in when you want to advance it OR take off the float switch so you can hit the manual advance button.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into filter floss used in Heating and Air industry
I bout a 4' x 90' roll for about $115.00 it will last me 10 years

Manual replacement is so easy the 2' x 18" cut piece sits on top my old filter sock plate. Best thing I've changed in many years, I had to go back home and get my truck to bring it home, didn't fit in the Jag.

IMG_0008.jpeg

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im big on the bubble magus rollers, much cheaper than a reefmat and now Ive found ultra cheap fleece, im set.

Ive used Klir & Thieling rollers for long term use outside of Bubble Magus. Ive tried just about everything as a tester from my LFS including a reefmat.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im big on the bubble magus rollers, much cheaper than a reefmat and now Ive found ultra cheap fleece, im set.

Ive used Klir & Thieling rollers for long term use outside of Bubble Magus. Ive tried just about everything as a tester from my LFS including a reefmat.
Please share where you find the cheap fleece! I have the fiji cube roller but even the ones on ebay aren’t much savings over the fiji cube branded and i have just been washing and rerolling them back up!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a few methods to cut cost. Ordering from precision cooling paper helps. If your roller is standard width, aliexpress is the ultimate way to go.

If your roller is the standard 4" wide, with shipping cost factored in, it cant be beat.

Screenshot_20230926-123346.png

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a few methods to cut cost. Ordering from precision cooling paper helps. If your roller is standard width, aliexpress is the ultimate way to go.

If your roller is the standard 4" wide, with shipping cost factored in, it cant be beat.

Screenshot_20230926-123346.png
I think we have posted on similar subject before!
Anyhow, how do you like the AliExpress Fleece Filter Replacement materials? Are they pretty much the same as original BM?I been using those from Precision but don't really like that it shrunk on the pickup side.
Thank you

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we have posted on similar subject before!
Anyhow, how do you like the AliExpress Fleece Filter Replacement materials? Are they pretty much the same as original BM?I been using those from Precision but don't really like that it shrunk on the pickup side.
Thank you
The aliexpress fleece works just fine, I recently posted up in another thread about the experience with them. Outside of slow as can be shipping they are the same thing. I buy 3 or 4x at a time which comes out to the cost of 1 from the LFS.

I also use precision for fleece but as I burn through the last of that stock, I'm going to these.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aliexpress fleece works just fine, I recently posted up in another thread about the experience with them. Outside of slow as can be shipping they are the same thing. I buy 3 or 4x at a time which comes out to the cost of 1 from the LFS.

I also use precision for fleece but as I burn through the last of that stock, I'm going to these.
Thank you!
I will definitely buy some and give it a try

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lbrdsoxfan, just ordered (7) rolls!
Funny how the lowest prices have higher shipping costs (much higher when order more than QTY of 2). The most economical shipping charge is max of 7 rolls.
Yeah, you have to find a balance. I think I pay 5 bucks for shipping with 4 or 5 rolls per order.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You @Lbrdsoxfan ! HALF way through the 1st Alliexpress roll and seem to work really good! Might be a bit more expensive than Preconfilter but don't have to mess around with the core and shrinkage

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You @Lbrdsoxfan ! HALF way through the 1st Alliexpress roll and seem to work really good! Might be a bit more expensive than Preconfilter but don't have to mess around with the core and shrinkage
They are cheaper then precon with shipping factored in. You just have to buy enough.

Precon hovers around 10$ a roll, before shipping.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are cheaper then precon with shipping factored in. You just have to buy enough.

Precon hovers around 10$ a roll, before shipping.
Yes, Precon also charges a lot for shipping. The last time I purchased 12 rolls and paid almost $40 for shipping (came out to about $13/roll).
However, preconfilter roll is 50 yards (about 45 meters) so it is comparable since Alliexpress is only 25 meters!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought specifically from a alie vendor that was 5$ shipping, it didn't go up as I added to the order. I think it was 6 of the 25m rolls for 32$ shipped. 3 rolls from precision was about 45$ last I remember. It's chump change in the end, but a buck saved is a buck saved.

I'm invested in a bag of cardboard cores also for the rolls from precon to rewind them, so it was a additional cost for me as well.

You can also get the branded bubble magus rolls for 10$ (4" roll) which is half of LFS retail.

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack... anyone know where I can get alternative rolls for the Innovative Marine midsized fleece roller? On their website, it's $60 for 6 rolls, not including shipping. Best price was during black Friday but I got the unit used after the sale was over unfortunately. I've never even measured the rolls honestly and I don't know the lengths either. Just checked their website and it says 2.79" x 82' . I haven't found anything else, but curious if someone maybe has it and got replacement rollers elsewhere.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought specifically from a alie vendor that was 5$ shipping, it didn't go up as I added to the order. I think it was 6 of the 25m rolls for 32$ shipped. 3 rolls from precision was about 45$ last I remember. It's chump change in the end, but a buck saved is a buck saved.

I'm invested in a bag of cardboard cores also for the rolls from precon to rewind them, so it was a additional cost for me as well.

You can also get the branded bubble magus rolls for 10$ (4" roll) which is half of LFS retail.
Wow, that is a good price! Please share the link if you don't mind. I paid almost $50 for (7) rolls shipped.
Yes, Alliexpress is much better since I don't have to re-roll to smaller core.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back