MAR3182

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mktang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger, I am new to the MAR3182. Only a couple of months but love it so far. I understand the relationship between the length of light and productivity/growth but not so clear when it comes to flow rate. Is it the same relationship? I.e. more flow equals greater productivity? Thanks!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is more important than the lights. The corals can survive several days without lights, but take away the flow and your corals will start stressing and dying after just hours.

Flow brings oxygen and nutrients to the corals, so yes more flow means better health and growth. It also blows away waste or shedding or sand from the coral.

Flow also helps fight algae and cyano.

There are many articles explaining why flow is so important, here's a few I like.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, if the flow is too high, the chaeto will be blown out of the reactor and make a mess, the goal is just enough flow to get a slow rotation but not enough to cause the chaeto to rise up and out, for this purpose, less flow is generally better and the chaeto may spin so slow or in fits and starts you would only be able to see with time lapsed video and this is not an issue.

OP
OP
M

mktang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, if the flow is too high, the chaeto will be blown out of the reactor and make a mess, the goal is just enough flow to get a slow rotation but not enough to cause the chaeto to rise up and out, for this purpose, less flow is generally better and the chaeto may spin so slow or in fits and starts you would only be able to see with time lapsed video and this is not an issue.
thanks!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back