March 2024 POTM winner Maroun.c, Sloke

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations to maroun.c for winning March 2024 POTM contest "your nicest 4 fish collage " sponsored by Avast Marine.
@Slocke will get the prize and the 1 year POTM winner badge.
The two photos

winner shot by maroun.c
1715362188917.png

1st runner up and winner of the POTM prize and badge @Slocke with a very deserving picture.
1715362261710.png

I take the chance to thank all who have voted for my picture and to congratulate sloke for a very deserving picture which I have voted for myself!

to all make sure to join May POTM which is running already and thanks to all who have participated in March POTM as we had a very nice set of submissions and finalists and the choice was indeed tough.

@Slocke Please contact me via PM to claim your prize. Congrats on a great photo and thanks for participating.
#POTM #POTMWinners #MODS

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some great pictures well done!
Thanks indeed excellent pics in this MArch POTM, looking at the two pictures above Its clear that the style of the picture taking is very different which is all what reefkeeping, photography and the POTM is about.
both submissions IMHO had excellent choices for fish to include,
My shots might be a bit stronger from a photographical quality side yet believe sloke had the advantage in:
-fish shots angles which made each fish and the collage have a better 3 D feel.
-the fusion of the pictures is seemless making it look more like one picture than a collage which adds strength to the compostion,
-The fish look more dynamic in the shots due tot he angles and the interaction between teh Dr wrass and the Regal adds activity tot he shot which I really like.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks indeed excellent pics in this MArch POTM, looking at the two pictures above Its clear that the style of the picture taking is very different which is all what reefkeeping, photography and the POTM is about.
both submissions IMHO had excellent choices for fish to include,
My shots might be a bit stronger from a photographical quality side yet believe sloke had the advantage in:
-fish shots angles which made each fish and the collage have a better 3 D feel.
-the fusion of the pictures is seemless making it look more like one picture than a collage which adds strength to the compostion,
-The fish look more dynamic in the shots due tot he angles and the interaction between teh Dr wrass and the Regal adds activity tot he shot which I really like.
Congratulations! It was impossible to compete with that achilles photo so to come second is an accomplishment for me. What is the anthias(?) on the bottom left? Love the basslet about to be eaten by the coral ;) , and man does the angel make me miss my Genicanthus.

As for me I think I need to up my photography. Time to ditch the cheapo Rebel T6 and see if I can win one outright! I use a telescopic lens that works great with my camera for action shots but the resolution of the T6 is limiting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations! It was impossible to compete with that achilles photo so second is an accomplishment for me. What is the anthias(?) on the bottom left? Love the basslet about to be eaten by the coral ;) , and man does the angel make me miss my Genicanthus.

As for me I think I need to up my photography. Time to ditch the cheapo Rebel T6 and see if I can win one outright! I use a telescopic lens that works great with my camera for action shots but the resolution of the T6 is limiting.
Thanks,
Achilles is indeed a photogenic fish yet need to be fast to capture the split second good poses.
anthia is a ventralis male coloration.
Semifasciatus was stuck between female and male coloration for years and all of a sudden restarted the transition after I added two small bellus. i wish to find to small semifasciatus females to have a trio.
indeed I was able to find improvement in focusing,metering or colors.... with each upgrade I made but its so painfully expensive that you really wonder if its worth the investment the trickiest part is when it requires lenses change like from crop to Full frame and now again to mirrorless.
I honestly beleive yours deserved to win it due to the reasons aI posted above, it did teach me a couple things about compositions where looking back at my fish shots I try to shoot the fish mostly parallel to glass and lense so I get most of it in focus where in your shot the angels added nice dynamics even if at the cost of some blurred fish parts due to limited DOF... again great shot.
do PM your details for the prize to be shipped to you.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back