Marine Angelfishes and sponge.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, sponges are a big part of the diet for the larger angels and is also eaten to a degree by the dwarf species.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scuba dive. I have seen hawksbill turtles tearing into a sponge with a couple of grey angels picking up the scraps. Some sponges, like loggerhead sponges, have a consistency that seems similar to cured concrete. I guess the angels have a hard time getting the sponge unless it is reduced to bite sized pieces.

There are some formulations of food for marine angels that are advertised to contain sponge.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's Hikari Mega-Marine Angel that I'll try. I looking for any info I can find, particular to what i can feed my Coral Beauty Angel:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hikari-bio-pure-frozen-mega-marine-3-5-oz.html
Not all angels have the same diet. That's why I had asked you to be more specific with your request. LiveAquaria.com recommends:
"The diet of the Coral Beauty Angelfish should consist of Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysis or frozen shrimp, and other quality meaty foods."

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to specie of sponge. I've used powdered Spirulina for human consumption from health food stores. Just mix a little with ANY food and Selcon liquid supplement. The Selcon liquid makes the Spirulina stick

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to specie of sponge. I've used powdered Spirulina for human consumption from health food stores. Just mix a little with ANY food and Selcon liquid supplement. The Selcon liquid makes the Spirulina stick
EDIT: ANY fish food

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tried the frozen Marine Angel food with sponge for the first time. The Coral Beauty nibbled one small piece and that was it! The others ate very little more than that. And the first ingredient listed is sponge! Either that's the wrong specie sponge for Coral Beauties or Coral Beauties don't eat sponge at all.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed Hikari about the Mega-Marine Angel food and will post back with the findings. My Coral Beauty is starting to eat this food now.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed Hikari about the Mega-Marine Angel food and will post back with the findings. My Coral Beauty is starting to eat this food now.
This is what I got back from Hikari:

Mitch – Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your support of our products. The Mega-Marine Angel contains a variety of sponges as to benefit a wide variety of marine angels. It’s important to note that the total package is what is most important rather than any one ingredient.

The Hikari Customer Service Team

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try that if I ever use up my bottle of Selcon. Angelixir has a lot of amino acids whereas Selcon has a lot of lipids and omegas. I don't know how they might have formulated the Brightwell additive to mimic sponge nutritional value though?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back