Marine Betta has Red Sore and Fin Damage Help!

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi everyone,

I got this Betta a couple of months ago and everything was great and then I noticed that my Tomini Tang was keeping him in a cave. I was spot feeding him but eventually he started swimming erratically, aggressively and banging into the rocks. I looked closer at him and that’s when I noticed his fin damage.
I removed him and put him in a 13 gallon treatment tank and have dosed him twice with Kanaplex and Metroplex but I haven’t seen much improvement.
Today will be the third dose of the meds. It says to every 48 hours. Maybe I am impatient and he needs more time?
I ordered some Neoplex which I will get the day after tomorrow.

He is not eating it is going on day four and he just lays at the bottom of the tank. All my other fish are doing great (the Anthias are nipping at each other to sort out who is in charge and one has a bite out oh it’s tail, no it I guess)
My parameters are ideal and corals are thriving.

Needless to say after reading how hardy and impossible to kill these fish are I am thinking leave it to me to be the one who loses one. I am really attached to him.

I am open to suggestions. Should I up the dosage or stay the course.

I have a couple pictures him and my tank.

3B250CE1-F2F1-4583-AD03-58A5087EFDE1.jpeg FCEC29F0-03BD-4C58-B673-5A730C47486F.jpeg E6E9CE8F-56D5-47E1-8DD0-96A33CC827D6.jpeg DA5A1474-8414-4F1B-8178-E246785FE0B2.jpeg 3D87C02D-F989-4BDC-B2D2-031D367802FE.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi everyone,

I got this Betta a couple of months ago and everything was great and then I noticed that my Tomini Tang was keeping him in a cave. I was spot feeding him but eventually he started swimming erratically, aggressively and banging into the rocks. I looked closer at him and that’s when I noticed his fin damage.
I removed him and put him in a 13 gallon treatment tank and have dosed him twice with Kanaplex and Metroplex but I haven’t seen much improvement.
Today will be the third dose of the meds. It says to every 48 hours. Maybe I am impatient and he needs more time?
I ordered some Neoplex which I will get the day after tomorrow.

He is not eating it is going on day four and he just lays at the bottom of the tank. All my other fish are doing great (the Anthias are nipping at each other to sort out who is in charge and one has a bite out oh it’s tail, no it I guess)
My parameters are ideal and corals are thriving.

Needless to say after reading how hardy and impossible to kill these fish are I am thinking leave it to me to be the one who loses one. I am really attached to him.

I am open to suggestions. Should I up the dosage or stay the course.

I have a couple pictures him and my tank.

3B250CE1-F2F1-4583-AD03-58A5087EFDE1.jpeg FCEC29F0-03BD-4C58-B673-5A730C47486F.jpeg E6E9CE8F-56D5-47E1-8DD0-96A33CC827D6.jpeg DA5A1474-8414-4F1B-8178-E246785FE0B2.jpeg 3D87C02D-F989-4BDC-B2D2-031D367802FE.jpeg
here is a video https://youtube.com/shorts/tYPvoGlnC8c?feature=share

It’s his right fin

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4526.MOV
    11.5 MB

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try treating it with API Furan 2. It sometimes helps, but too often I found nothing helps. I had too many of them die from this and suspect it is either a species specific disease or an after effect of being caught with cyanide.

OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try treating it with API Furan 2. It sometimes helps, but too often I found nothing helps. I had too many of them die from this and suspect it is either a species specific disease or an after effect of being caught with cyanide.
Thanks for getting back to me. I am sad to hear this. I will try that. So should I try and find a betta that is tank raised? I was told they were super hardy and disease resistant. If that’s even a thing.
This breaks my hart.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for getting back to me. I am sad to hear this. I will try that. So should I try and find a betta that is tank raised? I was told they were super hardy and disease resistant. If that’s even a thing.
This breaks my hart.
I'm a bit biased as I'm raising them for Biota but I would highly recommend going with tank bred.
The ones I've bred have not been babied and are hardy survivors.

I lost about 8 Finespot Marine Bettas to this disease and it is quiet distressing.

OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit biased as I'm raising them for Biota but I would highly recommend going with tank bred.

I lost about 8 Finespot Marine Bettas to this disease and it is quiet distress

So do you think he will make it or is he suffering?
Do you think it was stress?
The Furan 2 may work you said?
Sorry for all the questions I just love this fish. I had wanted one for so long. I guess I should have asked if he was wild caught.
Do you sell them?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I lost about 8 Finespot Marine Bettas to this disease and it is quiet distressing.
Yeah - that was a tough deal.

I don’t have anything to add to this case, thanks for helping out!

Jay

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably try with Furan 2 just to give him a shot. Doesn't look good :( I been eyeballing the captive ones. I guess if you get another, you need to figure out how to keep the Tang from being a jerk. The captive ones are tiny and so cute!

OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably try with Furan 2 just to give him a shot. Doesn't look good :( I been eyeballing the captive ones. I guess if you get another, you need to figure out how to keep the Tang from being a jerk. The captive ones are tiny and so cute!
I was just researching and you are right. Adorable. I have some TRIPLE SULFA. Furan 2 is not going to be easy to get. I live in the blue ridge mountains. I know crazy to have a reef tank.
I could order and pray it arrives in time.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just researching and you are right. Adorable. I have some TRIPLE SULFA. Furan 2 is not going to be easy to get. I live in the blue ridge mountains. I know crazy to have a reef tank.
I could order and pray it arrives in time.

sadly I am not sure you can even order it anymore :( it has sort of been disappearing.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found furan on Amazon.
A fish laying on its side and having problems staying upright is in most cases a gonner. I would still try everything you have at hand. Waiting for medications to arrive in the mail may take too long...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back