Marine biology programs

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so my brother is 18 years old and he loves marine biology specifically coral reef conservation. He doesn’t want to go to college to get his degree, but he does want to find a program that will take him over seas for an internship. I think he’s looking to be gone for at least three months. So what’s out there that will take him? Does he need a diving license. What do I need to do to help him on his way? I’m sort of the only person he’s got so I really want to help him!! Any suggestions would be very helpful!!!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Student Conservation Association my have some positions. https://www.thesca.org/about

I used them many years ago for a volunteer entry level fisheries job, but since I had a degree I was able to get paid. It also led to another volunteer fisheries job after that.

From what I remember they had marine fisheries/reef type positions in the Caribbean.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Student Conservation Association my have some positions. https://www.thesca.org/about

I used them many years ago for a volunteer entry level fisheries job, but since I had a degree I was able to get paid. It also led to another volunteer fisheries job after that.

From what I remember they had marine fisheries/reef type positions in the Caribbean.
How do I find them on their website? I looked and they didn’t have any reef type positions available and I’m not sure if it’s how I looked or what.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I find them on their website? I looked and they didn’t have any reef type positions available and I’m not sure if it’s how I looked or what.
There may not be reef specific positions, I was using their organization back in the early 1990's and would get a newsletter. It looks like on their website if you go down to the SERVE menu on that link, you can navigate to places to enter key words for positions.

Here's another place to look, American Fisheries Society https://fisheries.org/books-journals/fisheries-2/

Back during the last century they would put out a mailer through their magazine for summer jobs in fisheries, I don't keep up on what current research is locally or if there are actually reef studies/jobs/internships through them, but it is one of the professional organizations in the fisheries field.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back