Marine ich and contaminated nets question

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After setting up your hospital tank with 0 ich/ich pathogens you transfer your 2-3 fish there with a net that was in the display tank(therefore contaminated water/net), now your hospital tank has ich pathogens that need 8 weeks to die off from the contaminated net(ich pathogens/cysts need 8 weeks to starve), after the 30 day treatment you transfer your fish(ich free) to lets say a non contaminated tank or tank built from scratch BUT the net touched that water that had pathogens(that still had 4 weeks left to starve/die off) and now you just transferred those pathogens to the new tank... does this happen often? Im a little bit lost in here..

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are supposed to kill the pathogens while the dirty fish are in the hospital tank and the DT pathogens are starving/dying after 8 weeks.

Rinse and completely dry out the nets to prevent passing sickness around.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my hospital/quarantine tank in a separate room with its own equipment; that way there's just not much opportunity for cross-contamination. Nets just aren't that expensive, and it makes sense to keep several of them.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are supposed to kill the pathogens while the dirty fish are in the hospital tank and the DT pathogens are starving/dying after 8 weeks.

Rinse and completely dry out the nets to prevent passing sickness around.

Is 24 hours enough time for the ich pathogens to die on dry surfaces? If so then I see how this wouldn't be much of a problem here on the sw community

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 24 hours enough time for the ich pathogens to die on dry surfaces? If so then I see how this wouldn't be much of a problem here on the sw community
My understanding is that ich needs to be killed before the net dries out to be certain that cross contamination is minimal.

People who use the Tank Transfer Method clean and dry a tank before they use them again. Efficacy of the method makes sense in theory but many folks have not been successful with that endeavor, probably because they didn’t totally disinfect the tank between treatments.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back