Ick treatment time

russells55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I know this topic is talked to death. Any maybe this is a stupid question but I don’t understand why ich treatment is 14 days 1 month 90 days etc.

If I have a new fish that has ick
I put it in a quarantine tank for let’s say 3 days , bare bottom , not rocks etc.
Then treat with copper. Do a few water changes. Then net the fish to a bucket. Net again from bucket to the home / display tank.

How is ick surviving?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I know this topic is talked to death. Any maybe this is a stupid question but I don’t understand why ich treatment is 14 days 1 month 90 days etc.

If I have a new fish that has ick
I put it in a quarantine tank for let’s say 3 days , bare bottom , not rocks etc.
Then treat with copper. Do a few water changes. Then net the fish to a bucket. Net again from bucket to the home / display tank.

How is ick surviving?
The life cycle of ich is not cut and dry, there is a lot of timing variation. Also, the safe chelated copper products take three days or so to work.

There is the tank transfer method, TTM where you sort of “outrun” ich and its life cycle by moving fish from one tank to a new sterile one three times at just the right interval. That does work in many cases, but it has drawbacks.

30 days of coppersafe or copper power works well, close to 100% of the time, so it’s what I generally suggest for folks.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back