Marine Pure AI Toxicity ???

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there definitive results in regards to the aluminium Marine Pure leaches into the water?
Does M.P. leach enough AI to be a problem for fish or corals?
Does it continually leach AI or is there a point in time where the amount of AI leached reduces or even ceases?

Should Marine Pure be totally avoided?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many hobbyist using the marine pure blocks with good results.
On one point a few years back we pulled the alarm bell on marine pure material due to leaching but it was never in any harm to livestock.
Make sure your rinse is good and let it leached out some what to keep it in a container with saltwater and a pump before you use it in the sump.
@Randy Holmes-Farley might have some scientific results on how the # were leaching out if you wanna make sure.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large marinepure block in my sump and want to get rid of for possible AI leeching. However, I am concerned removing this will trigger a biological issue since my nitrates are <.5 PPM.
I may relocated it to a separate container or cut it up and remove a small section per week so nitrates as to not shock the system. Anything that has metals does not belong in my tank and since i've started my tank I have added a cryptic zone and more LR so have added nearly 50% more rock from when I started.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large marinepure block in my sump and want to get rid of for possible AI leeching. However, I am concerned removing this will trigger a biological issue since my nitrates are <.5 PPM.
I may relocated it to a separate container or cut it up and remove a small section per week so nitrates as to not shock the system. Anything that has metals does not belong in my tank and since i've started my tank I have added a cryptic zone and more LR so have added nearly 50% more rock from when I started.

Have you done some test to see if you are in potential scary elevated zone?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you worry by removing the marine pure if you don't know if it elevate your AI?
IME it doesn't and have done tons of triton test.
The average salt add more metals to our tanks than marine pure.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you worry by removing the marine pure if you don't know if it elevate your AI?
IME it doesn't and have done tons of triton test.
The average salt add more metals to our tanks than marine pure.

I originally started my tank with 35LB of dry rock in a 135gallon system. so I wanted to added additional biological filter so added the marinpure and 5LB of mud to the fuge. However, I've since added 50LB of LR and a cryptic zone for sponges. I don't really have the space for it anymore so have the marinepure next to my return pump.. I am still hestitant to remove it!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it ain't broken why fix it ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back