Marine Pure and Miracle Mud

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS guy tells me that these are great in the beginning but after a while the bacteria in the Marine Pure becomes toxic. He tells me also that he miracle mud also becomes toxic, like a sand bed that doesn’t get stirred. Any validity here? I’ve had a box of the spheres in my sump for about 3 months and same with the miracle mud. I do trust my LFS but he’s a bit of an old school purist.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that marine pure leaches aluminum after a while but nothing about it being toxic from bacteria. Same with miracle mud.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There as a large write up about someone who tested ICP tests prior to marine pure introduction, and post marine pure introduction. It did increase aluminum but the levels were fairly insubstantial I believe or still within comfort level as long as you arent planning on keeping leathers (which have a high intolerance for aluminum.)

Unsure of mud, have not researched it much.

joseph scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There as a large write up about someone who tested ICP tests prior to marine pure introduction, and post marine pure introduction. It did increase aluminum but the levels were fairly insubstantial I believe or still within comfort level as long as you arent planning on keeping leathers (which have a high intolerance for aluminum.)

I have been using a marine pure block for years, and almost all corals are leathers and all are doing great. I have never had my water icp tested, but I don’t believe my marine pure block has leached anything hurtful to leathers.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a marine pure block for years, and almost all corals are leathers and all are doing great. I have never had my water icp tested, but I don’t believe my marine pure block has leached anything hurtful to leathers.

In the article it sited some research that BRS did and only certain sizes/shapes has leaching. The spheres and the large blocks had minimal leching while the thing blocks had a larger amount. I believe.

Mako61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a good deal of Marine Pure Spheres in my system. My ICP came back zero AL. I run Carbon and a little GFO sometimes.
I also rinsed/Soaked it in RO for a few hours. It released a lot of dust probably from shipping. I changed the water 3-4 times till it didnt cloud anymore.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I kind miss worded it i didnt mean miracle mud did, i ment it helped lol

jjjameson333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
miracle mud should be replaced annually. To make this easier, I've placed miracle mud in a plastic container inside the sump.
duh and great idea! :) Sometimes easiest solutions are the best! I presume no one has any serious problems with this approach? a little detritus below and easy enough to address. So easy > I like it!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like with deep sand beds , any media or subtrait and even a rock I once owned, if the pores or in sand/mud , get clogged or compacted , the bacteria can go anerobic. If this happens they are oxygen restricted and obviously begin to die off. Producing lots of nasty stuff most notable and famous lay in dsb paranoia sulfur dioxide.

In deep sand beds , worms and bugs do the work of churning the soil and allowing water to flow through the sand. Same I should assume for the MM. as it’s mostly just a Silica based substrate.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back