Marine Velvet will have no mercy!

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! He is in really bad shape. Thanks for including the 2nd part (on a positive note). Glad you’ve had positive traction with the brother!

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! He is in really bad shape. Thanks for including the 2nd part (on a positive note). Glad you’ve had positive traction with the brother!

I’ll be doing another update on the brother soon. Stay tuned! :p

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dear god. That footage should be used in a QT public service announcement.

I just went to one of the “better” saltwater/reef stores here in town to pick up a couple of frags. While there I was depressed all I saw were fish covered in ich and flukes. I asked an employee and he said they run therapeutic copper. I know this business does a lot of online business and I feel sorry for their patrons. I QT my fish but this was a nightmare waiting to happen to someone who doesn’t know any better. Ugh.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unbelievable.. :mad: How people can have an LFS in that condition?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unbelievable.. :mad: How people can have an LFS in that condition?

Yeah, I’d say 60% are covered in ich/flukes/possibly velvet. I almost want to set up a QT and go rescue some fish, I’m pretty sure I could get them cheap. It’s pathetic is all I will say.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’d say 60% are covered in ich/flukes/possibly velvet. I almost want to set up a QT and go rescue some fish, I’m pretty sure I could get them cheap. It’s pathetic is all I will say.
Agree. I have a few LFS where I live that you they take good care of the fish but some Petco Stores shows poor care of the marine fish.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to one of the “better” saltwater/reef stores here in town to pick up a couple of frags. While there I was depressed all I saw were fish covered in ich and flukes. I asked an employee and he said they run therapeutic copper. I know this business does a lot of online business and I feel sorry for their patrons. I QT my fish but this was a nightmare waiting to happen to someone who doesn’t know any better. Ugh.
Yep...the same around here. You wouldn’t believe what I’ve had LFS employees tell me. I just smile and say ok. Wink wink.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I have a few LFS where I live that you they take good care of the fish but some Petco Stores shows poor care of the marine fish.
Most of these stores don’t care. They deal with volume for profit.

Even if you tried...it’s easier said than done. I have a hard enough time myself. :) Can you only imagine a store. I never bash any of my LFS. It’s a difficult job and I’m sure they can do better, but just think at all the separate tanks and meds you’d need to run. That’s a full-time job...just ask Humblefish. :)

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of these stores don’t care. They deal with volume for profit.

Even if you tried...it’s easier said than done. I have a hard enough time myself. :) Can you only imagine a store. I never bash any of my LFS. It’s a difficult job and I’m sure they can do better, but just think at all the separate tanks and meds you’d need to run. That’s a full-time job...just ask Humblefish. :)

I’m not trying to bash anyone (didn’t name the store) because I know it’s volume for profit. The employee did also state they keep their salinity at 1.020 to suppress fish diseases. I don’t know, it’s just depressing knowing how many of those fish won’t make it or will be sold to newcomers into the hobby and push them out of it.

Louis Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would sure like your review of the store . I dont want to be duped by this company . It’s because of the forums and others personal experience that I purchase online . I search here and two others forums for reviews or negative comments .

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would sure like your review of the store . I dont want to be duped by this company . It’s because of the forums and others personal experience that I purchase online . I search here and two others forums for reviews or negative comments .

If you purchase fish knowing you MUST QT them, and always assume they are sick then you’ll be ok. I don’t want to name the store because my 20 minutes in the store isn’t a fair representation. I was one of the first customers in at opening and some of these fish may have been stricken overnight. I also do not know if they removed the fish from the displays or not. I guess that doesn’t matter though as they are on a community water system.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want fish that are in the best condition...buy from Live Aquaria. Their fish are a lot more healthy than most places around and IMO the safest.

Cruz Mc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want fish that are in the best condition...buy from Live Aquaria. Their fish are a lot more healthy than most places around and IMO the safest.
This being the internet and all, I can’t tell if this is sarcastic or serious. I’m guessing serious, but not sure.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This being the internet and all, I can’t tell if this is sarcastic or serious. I’m guessing serious, but not sure.

This is serious. This is what’s currently happening at this very moment. Two fish very infested with Velvet. Actually just one now, because Savage is swimming around and eating like he’s on a vacation in the Bahamas. :p

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back