Marineland Internal polishing filter or similar for monthly detritus cleaning?

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So once a month or so I like to use a powerhead and turkey baster to blow detritus out of my rocks and hard to reach sand areas in my Reefer 350. I usually crank up the flow and let my filter socks catch as much as they can, but it seems something drawing water directly in the tank would give me some better filtering power to remove the detritus from the water column. I was looking into this Marineland internal polishing filter for these cleanups because it looks simple to setup and take down once a month. Anyone use this filter or a similar filter for this purpose?

revstu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once a month or so I like to use a powerhead and turkey baster to blow detritus out of my rocks and hard to reach sand areas in my Reefer 350. I usually crank up the flow and let my filter socks catch as much as they can, but it seems something drawing water directly in the tank would give me some better filtering power to remove the detritus from the water column. I was looking into this Marineland internal polishing filter for these cleanups because it looks simple to setup and take down once a month. Anyone use this filter or a similar filter for this purpose?

I have a 150 gallon fowlr and I have 2 Marineland magnum polishing internal canister filters. I place one on each side of the tank. Because I have black starboard for my substrate and the back of the tank is painted black they really blend in well. They keep my water crystal clear, but they clog fairly quickly. I clean them weekly. The cleaning process is really quick ( 5 minutes) so I don't mind doing it. I run mine all the time.

Roll over image to zoom in

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
PlayMute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 1:41
Loaded: 16.34%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -1:41Playback Rate1xChapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
  • Unknown, selected
Fullscreen
This is a modal window.
Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.
TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal Dialog
End of dialog window.
Helpful?

13A__How_to_set_up_your_Magnum_Filter_for_everyday_filtration
Manufacturer Video
Onsite Associates Program

revstu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon fowlr and I have 2 Marineland magnum polishing internal canister filters. I place one on each side of the tank. Because I have black starboard for my substrate and the back of the tank is painted black they really blend in well. They keep my water crystal clear, but they clog fairly quickly. I clean them weekly. The cleaning process is really quick ( 5 minutes) so I don't mind doing it. I run mine all the time.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend them. They are very easy to set up and clean, and pretty cost-effective as well. (you can get even smaller stuff by using diatomaceous earth or carbon powder in the filter, but that's a bit more work) For clearing out detritus, I might recommend stirring up a cloud 1-2x a week. For your Reefer 350, I might also recommend running two when you do your detritus stirring for efficiency. (and running the filter socks, and the other pumps at 100%. Supplementary pumps might also be useful if you have them)

the only alternatives I would put forward are 1) a canister filter brought up sepcifically for detritus cleaning, and here I think the extra flow of a canister filter would be offset by the nuisance of clearing out the sponge filter (compared to the easy of washing out the magnum's micron filter) or 2) the Vortex diatom filter whcih offers much more flow through the filter, but is much more expensive.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Yea I definitely wanted to avoid a full canister filter just because of how much of a pain they are to setup for small jobs. Plus they are expensive. Amazon has these Marineland filters for $42. I may give one a shot and see how it works and add a second if needed.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back