Internal overflow question

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a pro clear 230. The internal overflow has an opening at the bottom , from the bottom of the tank to almost 2” up. I see this allowing sand and detritus into the over flow. What would be the harm if I silicone this closed?

On a side note, I redesigned the sump for filter floss (no socks) and a skimmer chamber where the water level doesn’t change when you turn the return pump off. No more overflowing skimmer. No I just hope my calculations where correct for the remaking portion of the sump to hold the water when the pump is off.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking on line at these tanks and it appears that they use a standpipe inside of the overflow to regulate how much water can return to the sump when the pumps are off. I am guessing that the hole at the bottom might be access to service those standpipes, or the tank bulkheads, or both? Otherwise, I don't see a reason for the access hole or the overflow weir except to hide the ugly standpipes behind if there is a hole at the bottom. Or, perhaps the hole at the bottom is to keep the overflowbox flooded and prevent a flood if something clogged the overflow teeth? Interesting design, many possible purposes.

OP
OP
S

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t explain it very well. It is just a slit about 1/8” on each side where they purposefully did not silicone. I think I’m going to silicone them up. They have an extra set of teeth on the sides that are lower in case main get clogged. Seems to me they will get covered in coraline in no time though.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t explain it very well. It is just a slit about 1/8” on each side where they purposefully did not silicone. I think I’m going to silicone them up. They have an extra set of teeth on the sides that are lower in case main get clogged. Seems to me they will get covered in coraline in no time though.
Oh, that makes sense. I was looking at the diagrams online and didn't see the slits orgaps without silicone, but the picture was tiny. Otherwise, the gaps would provide for some circulation to keep the area from possibly becoming stagnant? I see your point of keeping the area free of debris that are going to get in there.

It should be a nice tank once you get it up and running! :cool:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back