Maristar 2 DIY LED Build

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]It's a build thread of sorts. I have had three friends helping me throughout, one cut and installed the heat sinks between the halides, and my other two buddies helping me on the led portion. The fixture is a Sunlight Supply Maristar 2. 2 x 250 phoenix 14k MH, galaxy ballasts, and 2 Ati Blue Plus 1 Coral Plus and 1 Purple Plus.

The stock led moon light panels were removed. The T5 timers were also removed and wired together to be controlled by my Apex.

There are 5 colors for the leds... all Phillips Luxeon couple with Meanwell 60-48D dimmable drivers. Mostly 60 degree optics but I will play with the others I have.

Once everything is installed, I'll make 3 acrylic shields to protect the leds and optics from salt creep, dirt etc.

Heat sinks

[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
Heat sinks installed.

[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
And the leds on the heat sinks... tonight we plan to wire everything.

[/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have halides for your primary lighting, with T5 supplementation, why are you adding violet, cyan, and blue? I would just add royal blue, and if it is too blue, then swap one of your T5 to a whiter bulb.

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have halides for your primary lighting, with T5 supplementation, why are you adding violet, cyan, and blue? I would just add royal blue, and if it is too blue, then swap one of your T5 to a whiter bulb.

I plan to run the leds and t5s the majority of the time... halides for max 2 hours per day so not really the primary lighting...

As far as the leds go... I'm a fan and wanted as many color options as possible is all but I see your point.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That few LEDs won't give you a ton of power, frankly, especially for primary lighting. Running the halides for only two hours seems kind of wasteful - might as well up the LEDs to match the power of the halides and run the T5 for 4 hours or so during the peak.

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That few LEDs won't give you a ton of power, frankly, especially for primary lighting. Running the halides for only two hours seems kind of wasteful - might as well up the LEDs to match the power of the halides and run the T5 for 4 hours or so during the peak.

I use 4 maxspect mazzaras now... I think they are 48 watts per... so almost 200 w of LED lighting. So 51 leds running at close to 3 w is approx. 150 total watts so this will be comparable when couple with the t5s right? With the limited MH use I'll have quite a bit more light than I had before during the peak hours I have yet to choose.

I just felt like everyone has their opinions on which lighting to use, spectrums, what works best, etc etc... so after using all of them separately I wanted to try this out for size.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 56 41.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.2%
Back