M

markredreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
I've made a gravity drip doser and started the Kalk +2 drip last night. This morning I looked in to see if I had noticed any changes in during the 11hrs drip, 1 drip per 3 seconds to start off with. well I've noticed the BMG Chalice's poyples were extended out for the first time in a couple of weeks since some of it's flesh was fading out from low dhk, cal and ph levels. I know this is too soon but this is a positive change compared to before the drip dosing. Also noticed a few other corals polypes has great extensions than usually.

Before I started the Kalk drip, I tested my water for:
Cal 380ppm
Alk 8dhk
ph 8.0
mag 1230ppm

Gonna test for these parameter again tonight before I do another drip to see if any changes has been made with these levels. basically I am playing with it so I know if i need to up the drips per sec or cut back.

Any tips would be appreciated.

thanks for ya time
mark

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your Calustrea and love the fact that it became 25+ heads in just a year. Awesome.

I got some questions for you:

That rockwork is really great! How did you bond them together?

Are you still using the SeaChem Products? Are you supplementing with Kalk to raise your Calc levels after corals have depleted these levels?

Just wondering b/c I was under the impression that using seachem products on the tank along with water changes might actually eliminate the need for Kalkwasser (isn't this was GARF does?).

Thanks for your thread, really nice tank!

OP
OP
M

markredreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your Calustrea and love the fact that it became 25+ heads in just a year. Awesome.

I got some questions for you:

That rockwork is really great! How did you bond them together?

Are you still using the SeaChem Products? Are you supplementing with Kalk to raise your Calc levels after corals have depleted these levels?

Just wondering b/c I was under the impression that using seachem products on the tank along with water changes might actually eliminate the need for Kalkwasser (isn't this was GARF does?).

Thanks for your thread, really nice tank!

Thanks for the compliments!

I'd bonded them together with super glue gel first then overlay the gel with Instant Ocean putty stick. But this is before I knew about using rods, zip ties an other better bond putty. So the rocks are still holding up so far.

Yes I am trying to raise my Cal level. Use to be around 480ppm. Now down to 380ppm.
No I am not currently using the SeaChem's reef Builders right now. I am seeing what happens with the Kalk+2 drip first then go from there. Also I don't like using too many products at one shot. Don't want chemical soup!

Well That"s what i had thought too water changes and Reef Builders I would need the Kalk. But this isn't the case. Since i had added more sps into my tank i have been battling Alk and now Cal levels.

And what do you mean with" isn't this was GARF does" ?????

Thanks for ya time
mark

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GARF.org is a website that I've been following for quite some time. They were the first group that I ever had heard of using the seachem products as a "bulletproof" recipe for reef success and that no other supplementation was used in their tanks. Really great website and LOTS of information. They were some of the first people on the web to start educating people on fragging from what I know.

GARF.ORG - The reef aquarium place

Sad to say that when I logged onto their website it seems that one of their co-founders, LeRoy Headlee, has passed away. Think I may order some goods to help support them.

OP
OP
M

markredreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pkunk, I'll have to check the site out!!! Sorry to hear of the co- founder had passed away

My levels are panning out now
Cal 460ppm
Alk 9dhk
Mag 1360pp (it's getting there)
PH 8.4

My corals are looking much better now. Some had me worried but making a come back :D

Here is a photo of my ORA Neon Goby near Bali Green Slimer.
Plus my Purple Acro (my very first sops I bought) and L.A. Lakers Zoas

1344288608.jpg

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pkunk, I'll have to check the site out!!! Sorry to hear of the co- founder had passed away

My levels are panning out now
Cal 460ppm
Alk 9dhk
Mag 1360pp (it's getting there)
PH 8.4

My corals are looking much better now. Some had me worried but making a come back :D

Here is a photo of my ORA Neon Goby near Bali Green Slimer.
Plus my Purple Acro (my very first sops I bought) and L.A. Lakers Zoas

1344288608.jpg

Very nice color on that blue tip.

What amounts and how often are you dosing the kalk?

OP
OP
M

markredreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a the kalk drip every night 2 drips per second. But I am thinking I am thinking i may need to up the amount of drips per sec. I've noticed a few bleached spots in the coralline. IDK, this 65 is stressing me out big time.

OP
OP
M

markredreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well would be nice if I could do some upgrades with my 65. But i am actually debating on downsizing :(
I've been having some difficult time keeping this tank running. Skimming crapped out on few months ago. I have one that was given to me but the skimmer is for a sump. And I don't have the funds to finish up my sump build. Also two of my T5 bulbs went out on me 3 weeks ago so now I am just running 2 bulbs instead of 4.

I had nothing but issues here and there ever since I've become disabled. It's cool though considering
I've kept this 65 running for 9 months since i had to stop working.

I am still thinking about if i'm taking down this tank or not and just stick with a nano for awhile and see what happens. I really don't want to go back to fw tanks this way.

I'd figured I would share a couple of photos

Here is a shot of me and my 65gal
1346712463.jpg

And here is a full tank shot of what my 65 looks now. I'm not too happy with how it looks anymore.
1346712944.jpg

Thanks for ya time
Mark-

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe a AIO nano around the 30g range would be good. what do you keep the tank mostly for? corals or fish?

OP
OP
M

markredreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

My wife surprised with with two new frags and 4 new ATI bulbs (3 Blue Plus & ! AquaBlue)
This isn't something she'll normally do for me for my tank(s).

First thing, here is a before and after shots from old bulbs to new bulbs.

Old bulbs
1346712944.jpg

Now after new bulbs. What a huge difference. Didn't realize how bad my bulbs were. This is just 2 of the 4 bulbs on. Just 1 Blue Plus & AquaBlue.
1349581775.jpg

Here are my new frags Chanel bought me.

this is the Peach/Orange Wall Hammer. Paid $49 for it. Has two heads. I cannot wait til it fully opens
1349582271.jpg

And my first Dendro. I've always wanted one. Paid $10.99 for it. Has 4 polypes.
1349583829.jpg

Now just some randon photos

Here are a before and after shots of my Eagle Eyes
before
1321744135.jpg

what they look like now.
Coral Beauty was wondering what i was doing lol.
1349585200.jpg

My Bubble Gum Monster is making a come back. While back I was losing it. The flesh was pealing off or something and now the color is coming back. I hope it'll get it's full color.
1349585342.jpg

the right side looking in to the left
1349581780.jpg

Thanks for ya time
Mark-

OP
OP
M

markredreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Skinz!Nothing much has been updated lately. But I will be making some changes to this tank.Instead taking this down(was an concept due to situation I am going through), I am going to get rid of most of my sps since it's hard for me to get what I need for them.So, I'm going back to keeping softies and lps corals.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 71.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back