Mars Aqua 300watt led

pfcreed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 56 Gall column tank that I need to build a stand and canopy for. I didn't like the ideal of having two 165 w lights over the tank so I bought the 300w fixture. I knew the fixture was going to be longer then the tank by an inch which I could correct when I built my canopy. My question to you all is, how high do you think I should put the light off the tank. I'm intending to grow softies and some Zoas maybe a some montipora here and there.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 56 Gall column tank that I need to build a stand and canopy for. I didn't like the ideal of having two 165 w lights over the tank so I bought the 300w fixture. I knew the fixture was going to be longer then the tank by an inch which I could correct when I built my canopy. My question to you all is, how high do you think I should put the light off the tank. I'm intending to grow softies and some Zoas maybe a some montipora here and there.
As high as you can. That light is a PAR powerhouse if not dialed back. And they dont have the best spread. It's a highly focused beam of light pointed downwords.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just high enough that you are perfectly comfortable being able to work in the tank under it.

I hesitate to quibble with the previous post but the Mars Aqua is not really a PAR powerhouse... well not as much as other Chinese black box led fixtures. It's just semantics.

The fact is most other black box led fixtures run 3 watt leds at 2.2 watts so they run cool and last longer. The Mars Aqua runs the same 3 watt leds at 1.85 watts, so it's PAR isn't quite up to what other fixtures are capable of. But after understanding that, it is still very capable of producing enough PAR for you to grow almost any coral at 24" deep in a tank.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would plan on a canopy interior height to accept at least 10". Gives you room to adjust the fixture height.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just high enough that you are perfectly comfortable being able to work in the tank under it.

I hesitate to quibble with the previous post but the Mars Aqua is not really a PAR powerhouse... well not as much as other Chinese black box led fixtures. It's just semantics.

The fact is most other black box led fixtures run 3 watt leds at 2.2 watts so they run cool and last longer. The Mars Aqua runs the same 3 watt leds at 1.85 watts, so it's PAR isn't quite up to what other fixtures are capable of. But after understanding that, it is still very capable of producing enough PAR for you to grow almost any coral at 24" deep in a tank.
Screenshot_20180716-072444_YouTube.jpg
the only reason I say par powerhouse is because this light is a highly focused beam of light. Beats a radion by over 200 par

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right. And I was just trying to explain the Mars Aqua isn't as powerful as most of the other black box leds.

Honestly, I had a Radion and for the money, I was totally unimpressed. I have a PAR meter and do a lot of PAR testing for fellow club members. I've seen what a lot of different led fixtures can and can't do. The Mars Aqua is a good fixture. I just felt that calling it a 'powerhouse' was a bit over the top. But I completely understand where you were coming from. As I said, really just a question of semantics.

OP
OP
P

pfcreed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, does that graphic show how the light is spread. If so maybe I can put a column off to each side so I can maximize light in the middle for the sand bed. Im thinking ill put the light off the water 10 - 12 inches this will give me some room to work.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 31 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 36 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back