Mason's Jbj 28g HQI POWER HOUSE! upgraded to the max!

manimtheman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started tank my tank build on March 15th 2011

MAY 16th 2011
Wanna Post tank up now that it has reached two months! got my setup like i wanted, its going strong and want to keep updated pics once a month!

it is a 28g JBJ nano HQI. 20k 150w new MH from South Pacific Sunlight. and the Ugrade kit of two 18w actinic bulbs. 4 blue moonlight leds. Tunze 9002 skimmer. two maxi-jet 1200 upgraded return pumps. custom built 2 stage baffle spounge and poly filter media filter stage. a phosphate nano reactor. Pacific coast 1/13 Hp chiller w/ built in heater and a maxi-jet 900. all is connected to a coralife power center. 33 Lbs of Purple Fiji Live Rock. Crushed Coral. Using Tropic Marin salt. and B Ionic 2 part buffer for alk and calcium. Using TLC for saltwater once a month for good mesuare!

LiveStock:
2 baby tank raised true percs
1 firefish
1 yellow watchman goby
1 tiger pistol shrimp

CUC:
6 blue leg hermits
6 snails
1 emrald crab

Coral:
3 Japaneese Acans
1 green and maroon
1 red and white
1 blue green and red

1 Large neon green frogspwan 3 heads attached with putty to LR
(softball or bigger)
1 gold tipped purple torch
3 heads attached like FS
1 pink zoa colony that is spreading to my LR, than i will sell colony
+60 heads
10 poylps of eagle eye
8 poylps of whammins
i found 2 eagle eye poylps that ended up in a hole on my LR'
must have gotten loose and found a home.
itll will a cool looking sight when the grow out!
3 small heads on Green Candy Cane
1 Indo Chalice
1 green birdsnest 1"
1 sour apple birdsbest 2"
1 acropora green bonsai small colony
1 texas stunner acro 1 1/2"

all over a 3 or 4 week period

JUNE 2
all zoa that you see 3 polyps or less the ones i just got from hydro!
2 fruit loops
3 orange bam bams
2 blue orgasams
2 dragon eyes

and in the mixed colony up top are radioactive dragon eyes, whammin watermelons, and eagle eyes on the right! and the 10 polyps in center are from don duncan.

I also sold the zoa pink and brown zoa colony i had in front left of tank. and one of my baby tank raised true perculas

June 8th
OK! added a Fire Shrimp today! and some updated pics! you can see my sour apple birdsnest spiking out everywhere! and and some crumbles of the reverse superman montipora that i glued to a frag disc to see if could propigate a nice new monti to sell someday

June 21st
So i had some type of worm that has been putting out a fishing line looking thing that was hurting my zoa's! so i took them off my main LR and attached them to a piece i bought from Shane. i attached all of them to the rock so that one, they dont over run my pretty purple rock. and two, so that if fragging is wanted or needed it will be much easier! just for safe measure cause the zoas wernt looking to good from being stung from worm tentacle. i did hydrogen peroxide and fresh water dip and then glued to my rock! Now they are are very happy and even sprouting new heads.
Now dosing Kent Marine Lugol's solution for shrimp once a week now!

I also added
fire shrimp
scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
IMAG0668.jpg
IMAG0673.jpg
IMAG0669.jpg
IMAG0678.jpg

Id also like to mention ive been winning the battle on vermitid snails by using putty over thier prods.
and i dosed flatworm exit by 3 times stregth cause i saw 1 adult nudibrach and 2 babys so i knew it would be bad if i didnt take action! which i will repeat once a week for a month to kill nudis cause flatworm exit does not work on eggs. (no adults no eggs no nudis)
and i will be using putty to cover the fishing line worm things i was talking about earlier. cause someone told me they could be poked with a prod to break thier shell but, nothing from a saftey pen to a sewing neddle on a rod just wasnt working. any one have any info on these little things! it looks like line let out of rock to float in current to catch food THEN boom its gone. like the thing sensed food or somin. what are they? anybody know?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

manimtheman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to pull the trigger on some LED stunners from ecoxotic to add more light and puple! I want the ones on the middle!
stunnernew-labeledlr_1.jpg

12.5" 6 watt Stunner LED Magenta/453nm Blue

stunnerled_labeled_1.jpg
my bro has the 2 of the ones all the way to the left! as his main light source on his planted freshwater tank! and its very bright!

12.5" 6 watt Stunner LED 18-8000K White 6-453nm

and they are bright as heck

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coolio! You got any FTS?

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice looking tank.. i soon plan to upgrade my 24, to a 28 gallon.. Still debating if i wanna do LED's in it

OP
OP
M

manimtheman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only use LED for suplement! it makes your coral brown over the year! esspically if you sell to someone that has MH! they will think you grow ugly corals

lurchw00t

Wham Bam Shazaam!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a clearer picture of how you mounted the stunner strips? Did you modify the hood to get them mounted?

OP
OP
M

manimtheman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:wink:added a helfrichi firefish today!
IMAG0012.jpg
IMAG0010.jpg
IMAG0011.jpg
cant wait till tonight to see him under my actinic/LED magenta phase of the day. with out the MH.

OP
OP
M

manimtheman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fell asleep last night! will get a pic of LED's tonight when i get home from work! it attached in between the two moonlight LEDs on the 28g JBJ hood! I have the HQI, but I'm pretty sure they are the same housing for different models.its attached by 3M tape that came on the light! ITS VERY AGGRESSIVE TAPE! my bro recommended (who had experience with these lights) to use a half of the sticker and it was a good idea.

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the LED pro hood, but I needed more blue so I added a blue stunner strip awhile ago in the same place. I plan on adding 2 more blues on the sides and adding a purple in the back next to the blue one I have now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

manimtheman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my soon to be snowcasso from a lady here in texas! picking her up hopefully on wensday!
P7101830-2.jpg
what do you think?

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i got a few pics of just the one strip.. the connector piece is stuffed behind the screws, and the cord runs out the back on the side of the hinge. the stunner strip itself is held on by double sided sticky tape.

38c6d100.jpg

569d8d1d.jpg

993bf8e6.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back