CamGG

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a 6+ year old 90 gallon reef with three fish. I've always had a nitrate problem in the tank ranging from 20-40 consistently.

A month ago I replaced two black grow box lights with two kessil a360x. I also removed the glass canopies. In the 6 years I've had the tank my calcium 500+ and alkalinity (9-10dkh) have been very high. I don't dose. These would just stay high all the time.

I've also had a amphidinium Dino problem for years, however, ignored it when my nitrates were high as I could siphon them up and they'd take awhile to come back and was localized in a small spot in the tank.

Now a month later with the new lights my tank is full of algae. My nitrates are at 0.25-0.5ppm, my phosphates are at 0 even while dosing neophos. And my alkalinity and calcium have started to drop.

Consequently my dino problem has bloomed to the whole tank. No matter how much I feed, I just get more alage, nitrates and phosphates don't increase. This is a problem I never thought I'd have but here I am.

What do I do to get my nitrates and phosphates up so I can start tackling my dinos and stabilizing my water chem?

Reef Chasers Aquaculture

CoralB

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Start by lowering your light intensity and maybe length of schedule as well .keep dosing and feeding , UV light if you have or can get one , good algae eating clean up crew ie: Mexican turbo snails , tuxedo urchins etc. Sounds like your issue was created by installing better quality lights which bloomed your algae growth. . If you can concentrate on algae removal and finding a balance with lighting , feeding, and algae removal you should be on the road to recovery . The zeroed out phosphates is most likely causing your Dino breakout . Good luck !!!

AquaSD
OP
C

CamGG

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Start by lowering your light intensity and maybe length of schedule as well .keep dosing and feeding , UV light if you have or can get one , good algae eating clean up crew ie: Mexican turbo snails , tuxedo urchins etc. Sounds like your issue was created by installing better quality lights which bloomed your algae growth. . If you can concentrate on algae removal and finding a balance with lighting , feeding, and algae removal you should be on the road to recovery . The zeroed out phosphates is most likely causing your Dino breakout . Good luck !!!
What length of lighting do you suggest? I'm at 8am to 8pm but 8am to noon is a gradual ramp up to a max of 30% intensity. 6pm-8pm is also a ramp down to 0%. The lights are two 90 watt kessils.

CoralB

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
What length of lighting do you suggest? I'm at 8am to 8pm but 8am to noon is a gradual ramp up to a max of 30% intensity. 6pm-8pm is also a ramp down to 0%. The lights are two 90 watt kessils.
You can start by cutting back to 6 hours . It worse case depending on how bad your algae issue is to do a total black out for 3 days while keeping a eye on parameters especially ammonia and nitrates . Do as much manual removal prior . Other wise start by cutting back the light schedule ,add algae eating CUC , manual pulling , and also watch not to over feed . Keep a eye on your nitrates and phosphates making sure they don’t zero out . It won’t fix overnight but within a week you should see improvement until you balance out . Good luck !

Do you use any types of "Filtration In a Bottle" in your reef aquarium?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 52 29.1%
  • NO

Votes: 110 61.5%
  • No but may try something in the future

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.7%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories