MasterFlex Head With Generic DC Motor To Drive It?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheClark
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TheClark

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2013
Messages
386
Reaction score
58
Location
Kelso, WA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading the calcium reactor threads that use a masterflex pump to drive calcium reactors for very precise effluent flow.

In one thread on another forum, someone suggested you can use a masterflex head, but another DC motor to drive them and PWM control. That is appealing if possible from the cost perspective. Even used these pumps can cost quite a bit.

Anyone else heard of this or had experience with it? I am quite interested if so...








PS: Don't forget to enter this giveaway-
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/melevs-reef-custom-auto-top-off-reservoir-giveaway.202192/
 
I have no experience with these pumps but I am sure someone else may be able to help you [HASHTAG]#REEFSQUAD[/HASHTAG]!
 
Last edited:
I think @d2mini has experience with this pump, let see if he's around.:D
 
I have a few of these but they are full CP pumps.
The cheapest way to go for the CaRx would be one with a brushed motor. The one I picked up has the digital display but it's brushed.
Brushless are quieter but they get pricey.
If you are patient, you can usually fine one used for around $200-250 with an Easy Load head.
I got one without the digital display with the head for $200. And I got one with the digital display without a head for $195. Used heads go for $60-100.
I use the digital one for my CaRx and the standard one with two heads for my auto water changes. Both are 200 rpm max drives.
Then i picked up a cheap 20 rpm fixed drive to use as my ATO pump. I think it was $99.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new