Matt changing bulbs

str8salt

OG SALT CREEP!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, gotta question for everone, or maybe a survey of opinions. anyhow, Matty just got his new phoenix bulbs in and is installing them tonight. I have heard horror stories about new bulb coral burning. I have changed bulbs out at the same time, never changed light cycle and no problems. That was on my dual 400w system. I suggested moving his light cycle back to allow for gradual acclimation. Changing them in stages is not a viable option due to pulling the light out and such. opinions? Thanks

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any issues either, but to be on the safe side he could try some plastic window screen and just place it on top of his glass covers in layers probably 3 or 4 layers to start with. Then remove a piece of screen each week until they are gone. Reducing the light cycle will not prevent burns as the intensity is the same whether you have it on for 1hr or 12hrs.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any issues either, but to be on the safe side he could try some plastic window screen and just place it on top of his glass covers in layers probably 3 or 4 layers to start with. Then remove a piece of screen each week until they are gone. Reducing the light cycle will not prevent burns as the intensity is the same whether you have it on for 1hr or 12hrs.

Yep, agree with John, if he can't stagger his bulb changes, I'd get some fiberglass or plastic screen.

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diffuser grid probably won't block enough light, and it will be difficult to layer it so you can slowly increase the intensity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back