I’m going to try some 6500K T5

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a fan of blue lighting.

However, I recently challenged my beliefs. I did some reading from people I respect in this hobby.

I’ll give some quotes on what changed my opinion.

Although not discussed much greenish-yellow/yellow light seems to induce non-fluorescent red coloration in those stony corals capable of producing this pigment.
In short, while PAR meters' estimations of PPFD are useful, it ignores the positive impacts of UV-A and far-red/infrared radiation.

IMG_8147.jpeg

Be careful with graphs like this. Looking at this graph leads one to believe spectrum based on these curves shown is somehow best. I'm not saying success can't be achieved making decisions on this info, but there's a lot more to the story. Look at the line showing absorption for carotenes - this includes beta-carotene that can actually act as a photo-protectant (beta-carotene is found in carrots (! -carrot-tene) and makes them appear orange because they absorb violet/blue light.) Hence, they compete with chlorophylls for blue light. The same can be said for xanthophylls - oxygenated carotenes - they absorb blue light as well. In short, merely looking at the graph leads one to think blue light is most strongly used in photosynthesis. Based on PAM fluorometry experiments' results, red light is most efficient while graphs like this suggest otherwise.
It is no accident that fluorescent pigments that absorb UV-A, blue and violet light and hence subtract from light available to photosynthesis if blue light is of high intensity (relative to what is seen in nature.) Coral fluorescence is another tool in the arsenal of zooxanthellae photoprotection.

I’ve always felt standard reef T5 bulbs were
lacking in the red (660nm) for photosynthetic shallow water animals. I also currently believe the lack for yellow/amber light cause corals to lose their chromoprotein pigments overtime, like the “battle coral” phenomenon.

If anybody thinks that any of this is a joke, search around for frags coming from really good vendors, like BattleCorals, where they are grown and raised with a lot of full-spectrum lighting. They look really good at first and then the colors fade when they are kept under heavy blues only and they lose some color over time. This is a common thing. Easy to sell these folks on more daylight trips to the gym, good diet and some sunscreen or other skin care. :)

I did some searching on 6500K full spectrum T5, and I’ve settled on the Giessmann Super Flora bulbs because I really that spectrum, specifically because of that red peak at 660nm. The high amber/yellow also helps a lot.

Edit: I’m actually going to try the Tropics because too much red might cause bleaching in corals. The tropics is what most people use for 6500K, including Adam from Battlecorals in his T5 tank.

I’m going to mix in a few in my fixtures to see if there are any noticeable changes in my aquarium. :)

IMG_8142.jpeg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be curious to see if you get additional algae growth in the tank when you add the red spectrum, and of course if the growth and color of the coral improves, or not ?

I hope you will keep us updated with your findings from your changes.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be curious to see if you get additional algae growth in the tank when you add the red spectrum, and of course if the growth and color of the coral improves, or not ?

This is an N of <15 but I always have less nuisance algae growth under “white” light than I do anything else. Free phytoplankton in the water is usually 30-50% higher also confirmed with cell count.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s non sense! I’d really like to know who came to that conclusion or termed the phrase “white lighting grows algae” We grew everything with halides which were yellow and white! I left for awhile and came back to the windex hobby haha!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an N of <15 but I always have less nuisance algae growth under “white” light than I do anything else. Free phytoplankton in the water is usually 30-50% higher also confirmed with cell count.
I am thinking about the additional red spectrum impact, nothing else.
That’s non sense! I’d really like to know who came to that conclusion or termed the phrase “white lighting grows algae” We grew everything with halides which were yellow and white! I left for awhile and came back to the windex hobby haha!
Many years ago a vendor for one of the original T-8 daylight bulbs said that their product was not good for reefs because the red promoted algae growth. They were great for plant tanks in freshwater.

I never said “White light” so please don’t say I am a spectral racist or a Halide snob or an LED blur light special promoter. I am just interested in the results that the op finds from the change.

If you already know what will happen then you know more than me about this topic. I’m ok with that too.

Shalom

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about the additional red spectrum impact, nothing else.

Many years ago a vendor for one of the original T-8 daylight bulbs said that their product was not good for reefs because the red promoted algae growth. They were great for plant tanks in freshwater.

I never said “White light” so please don’t say I am a spectral racist or a Halide snob or an LED blur light special promoter. I am just interested in the results that the op finds from the change.

If you already know what will happen then you know more than me about this topic. I’m ok with that too.

Shalom
Not at all lol… I wasn’t directing it towards you, I just quoted you because you brought it up.. I didn’t mean anything more than who termed that phrase? It’s crazy to me and I see people posting it over and over I run all blues because white promotes algae… that’s nonsense.. my tanks back then were very yellow and today it’s super white with halides still and the only algae that grows in my tank is corraline…

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0Not at all lol… I wasn’t directing it towards you, I just quoted you because you brought it up.. I didn’t mean anything more than who termed that phrase? It’s crazy to me and I see people posting it over and over I run all blues because white promotes algae… that’s nonsense.. my tanks back then were very yellow and today it’s super white with halides still and the only algae that grows in my tank is corraline…
Cool very good!

I like to live under 5000 - 6500 k in our house and 14000k for my halides but it does amaze me that vendors am shop keepers in lighting call 4K or less “white” or “Soft White” when all I can see under those kelvin’s looks yellow. Same look to my eyes up to 10000K, not white really at lower kelvin’s.

So the use of the term “White Light” I personally find annoying especially when I am at Home Depot and I ask for daylight and they rush over and grab a 3000K bulb and tell me that this is what I want. I have not thrown a 3000 K bulb yet but I have been tempted really strongly under those circumstances.

Touchy I am on kelvin temperatures and lighting, I apologize for my near spontaneous combustion on here, still interested in the OP”s results.

:eek: :cool: :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My exposed chiller tubing outside grew coralline algae like a menace. It was just caked and caked with coralline algae that eventually clogged the entire tube until I did a strong muritatic acid flush.

IMG_8079.jpeg
IMG_8081.jpeg

There was little to no pest algae inside. Only grown with natural sunlight. This also sparked an interest in replicating the sun.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool very good!

I like to live under 5000 - 6500 k in our house and 14000k for my halides but it does amaze me that vendors am shop keepers in lighting call 4K or less “white” or “Soft White” when all I can see under those kelvin’s looks yellow. Same look to my eyes up to 10000K, not white really at lower kelvin’s.

So the use of the term “White Light” I personally find annoying especially when I am at Home Depot and I ask for daylight and they rush over and grab a 3000K bulb and tell me that this is what I want. I have not thrown a 3000 K bulb yet but I have been tempted really strongly under those circumstances.

Touchy I am on kelvin temperatures and lighting, I apologize for my near spontaneous combustion on here, still interested in the OP”s results.

:eek: :cool: :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
Yeah I get it! My house is all daylight I don’t care for the yellow look which is 6500-10,000k in halide retrospect. But completely different with led lighting in any box store or even headlights… 6500k in led lighting is a crisp white with blue hue vs halides that’s yellow as can be lol..

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to test this idea, you could even go to the Hortilux Power Veg 660 or 633 T5 bulbs sold to the horticulture market. Downside is they are only available in 48" and 24".

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to test this idea, you could even go to the Hortilux Power Veg 660 or 633 T5 bulbs sold to the horticulture market. Downside is they are only available in 48" and 24".
I have the 48” bulb size.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh geez. That’s a lot of red. I think that’s too much red.

If you're dialing in a warmer Kelvin (more red or less blue) do so very slowly and observe corals/anemones/clams closely. Red light is known to regulate (lessen) zooxanthellae densities/chlorophyll. In extreme cases, too much red can bleach a coral. In experiments I conducted with a meter that reports chlorophyll content, it became apparent that the human eye is a very poor judge of loss of zoox/chlorophyll. A coral can be technically bleached while still having a light brownish coloration.

Here’s the T5 spectrum for one of the bulbs you mentioned:

IMG_8150.jpeg

I don’t know if I’d want to experiment with that much red.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the planted tank freshwater forums, I have seen a couple of people incorporate these into a T5 lighting system. It does bring out the red colors in the fish. Probably not something you would want for a reef tank, but I think these bring a ton of red PAR.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a true full spectrum incites algea growth that you can't get under control, you have bigger problems than lighting...

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that close to the idea of a fuge light?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, red shouldn't exceed 15% 0f total PAR.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back