Can I keep a mixed reef at 6500k lighting?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some borderline bad thoughts on here...

First, most real 6500k sources have huge amounts of blue but also the other colors too.

No corals in our tanks are collected at depths where only blue light is present. You need VERY expensive equipment to get down this deep and it is risky - James Cameron type of stuff. Anybody who wants to go much below 30 meters with the risk/cost are collecting fish where they can get thousands of dollars apiece rather than pennies or a buck fo corals. Most corals are collected on one breath with masks and snorkels in spectrum very similar to 6500k.

Most people use heavy blue lights because they either don't have the skill to color corals up well, or the corals are just not that nice. Blue light is like heavy makeup, hair extensions, spanx and all of that. White light is like real skin care, exercise, diet, etc. Both work well together, but if you drop all of the real body care, not all of the spanx or makeup in the world can help.

Full spectrum to render good color and then blue it up to look at them, if that is your thing.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people use heavy blue lights because they either don't have the skill to color corals up well, or the corals are just not that nice. Blue light is like heavy makeup, hair extensions, spanx and all of that.
Now I will be on the look out at my LFS for "Coral Spanx" liquid additive to help make my corals look fit. :thinking-face:
For busy coral reefers whos coral doesn't have time to eat right or go to the gym.:cool::face-with-tears-of-joy:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't nearly everybody already sell of that in numerous bottles with all kinds of unsubstantiated promises? Reefing photos and selfie photo filters are already pretty similar. Pretty soon we will see noses, ears and whiskers on corals.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp dye!
th.jpg
They already have dog nail polish on Chewy.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't nearly everybody already sell of that in numerous bottles with all kinds of unsubstantiated promises? Reefing photos and selfie photo filters are already pretty similar. Pretty soon we will see noses, ears and whiskers on corals.
I have the newest gym version .....Lululemon:
1703807644461.png

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anybody thinks that any of this is a joke, search around for frags coming from really good vendors, like BattleCorals, where they are grown and raised with a lot of full-spectrum lighting. They look really good at first and then the colors fade when they are kept under heavy blues only and they lose some color over time. This is a common thing. Easy to sell these folks on more daylight trips to the gym, good diet and some sunscreen or other skin care. :)

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that's what @FUNGI was getting at.. blue is still there, just amongst the rest of the spectrum. But my question is, I believe op is operating leds- is 6500k from still the same/ similar or do the narrow bands lack the blue. I believe it takes all the colors, regardless of source, to achieve 6500k(right? )

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that's what @FUNGI was getting at.. blue is still there, just amongst the rest of the spectrum. But my question is, I believe op is operating leds- is 6500k from still the same/ similar or do the narrow bands lack the blue. I believe it takes all the colors, regardless of source, to achieve 6500k(right? )
This is true....

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda I thought the thought of ears and whiskers filters on a coral is funny, but entirely plausible now a days- could bring a extra hundred dollars

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anybody thinks that any of this is a joke, search around for frags coming from really good vendors, like BattleCorals, where they are grown and raised with a lot of full-spectrum lighting. They look really good at first and then the colors fade when they are kept under heavy blues only and they lose some color over time. This is a common thing. Easy to sell these folks on more daylight trips to the gym, good diet and some sunscreen or other skin care. :)
Nope, I laugh about some of the products and sales tactics of folks in the business but try to learn how to keep things looking how I want them using proper lighting and useful additives (mostly food items) but I never thought of these products being compared to Spanx. Thanks for chuckle on that visual.

And no offense meant for people who paint their dogs toe nails or manipulate the light spectrums to be pleasing for their purposes. :thinking-face:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well..., no offense, but maybe a little.. what about the people who color their dogs fur....
If I was dying my hair and my dog (I don't have a dog, but if I did) came in while I was putting the color on I might give fido a touch up. I don't have the skill to paint nails or add hair extentions, but I can change the lighting scheme in the house. I like higher Kelvin bulbs for light but my wife likes the old 3500-4000K spectrum for her eyes.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was dying my hair and my dog (I don't have a dog, but if I did) came in while I was putting the color on I might give fido a touch up. I don't have the skill to paint nails or add hair extentions, but I can change the lighting scheme in the house. I like higher Kelvin bulbs for light but my wife likes the old 3500-4000K spectrum for her eyes.
I'm in love with the look of my pheonix14k halides. So white and bright, colors pop, nothing in tank is hidden by color of light; sometimes I just stare at it- can be hard to look away

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back