From t5 to led

machome79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have made the decision to switch up lighting. I am switching from a 48" 4 bulb t5 light to 3 nicrew hyperreef LEDs for my 6 ft 135 gallon mixed reef.
I know I can't just turn these lights on full throttle right away, so may please have some suggestions as to how to make this change over?
I have heard things such as 50% blue channel and 10% white for the first week and increase it over 2 week time span. If any of you fellow reefers
have a made a change over to these specific lights I would like to know what you did and did it go well, or what would you have done differently?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used those particular led bit when I switched from halide/t5 to led I wish I would have tested par. I have a meter now and it helps tremendously. I was under lighting my tank when I thought I was giving too much,

OP
OP
machome79

machome79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. I was thinking of renting one or if I can find an inexpensive one I'll buy it.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. I was thinking of renting one or if I can find an inexpensive one I'll buy it.
The Photone app for phones is pretty darn close in terms of accuracy compared to an apogee meter and cost like maybe $15

I’ve been using it for a while and like it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back