OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did some tests with hystrix and far red - measuring the oxygen production and get some indications that it at least rise the oxygen production. I did a long time test with a array of 720 nm LED over my aquarium, honestly after a half a year - I could not see any bad or good effects there I had put the light compared with other places in my aquarium.

Sincerely Lasse

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did some tests with hystrix and far red - measuring the oxygen production and get some indications that it at least rise the oxygen production. I did a long time test with a array of 720 nm LED over my aquarium, honestly after a half a year - I could not see any bad or good effects there I had put the light compared with other places in my aquarium.

Sincerely Lasse
So, to be clear... A rise in o² is indicative of a increase in photosynthesis?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly - and a rise in pH caused by consumed CO2 in the water. CO2 as an resource - C incorporated into the compounds that photosynthesis produce and O2 as a waste

@Lasse I appreciate the “primer” on this…I might sound like a ignoramous but truth be told I did go to school for just light/radio waves, ECM et et …
I should know all this but I
can't remember a doggone thing LoL
:)

Sincerely Lasse

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that might help some of us trying to follow these smart people is aligning the metrics during these discussions:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think of Kelvin as a composite measurement of all photons, my oversimplification the final “color” blend the subject receives as expressed as a temperature

A much better explanation

whereas wavelength (in nanometers) is the actual “peak to peak” measurement of a single photons path (and therefore its energy level)

wavelength explained

TBH I’m not 100% sure how to apply any metric in “Kelvin” to anything Aquarium related other than how something actually appears to me, I have no means to apply/ assign “Kelvin” to any health/ growth related metric….

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse
Would it be that easy to test the effectiveness of light source by simply measuring disposed oxygen content of the water and change spectrum of lighting? Would this increase(or decrease) in photosynthesis show immediately or would the coral need time to adjust to the changed lighting? If I'm understanding correctly, it should show within the 1st light cycle.(?) I know if I add a light fixture, the pH increase will show that 1st day

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be that easy to test the effectiveness of light source by simply measuring disposed oxygen content of the water and change spectrum of lighting?
It would be easy to test the photosynthetic effect of the light that way, but not necessarily the effectiveness of the light for corals - like I mentioned in the other thread (quoted below), sometimes corals grow faster under just blue light (as opposed to full-spectrum lighting) despite a drop in photosynthesis:
-Different wavelengths (colors) of light have different amounts of energy in them, but they also have different properties for photosynthesis. Because of this, we absolutely should consider spectrum when using PAR measurements.

-Generally speaking, corals like blue light and dislike red light; white light is a mix of at least red, blue, and green/yellow light - depending on the blend, corals may or may not grow well under it. Whether a coral grows "better" (faster, more resilient, etc.) under white light or blue light is likely dependent on the coral's environment: is the coral from deepwater, or has it been growing under a blue light only tank for a long time now? It'll probably grow better under blue light. Is it from shallow water, or from a tank with whiter lighting? It'll probably grow better under white light.

-White light is best for photosynthesis, and sometimes but not always for coral growth (see my points above); there's more to the picture of coral growth than just photosynthesis.
The study below tested Acropora variabilis and Porites lutea harvested from 2-6 m deep at maintained 6 m deep; they compared dark (no light), full-spectrum (the control), and blue light settings at 200 μmol and 400 μmol (they tested full-spectrum at 800 μmol as well, but 400 μmol was the highest they could get the blue); they used a metal halide light with polycarbonate filters to control what spectrum the corals were being exposed to - the corals grew (calcified) fastest under the blue light, but there was more photosynthesis under the full-spectrum (white) light:

"The light to dark calcification ratios of A. variabilis under 400 μmol photons m−2 s−1 of control and blue light were 8.4 and 10.5, respectively; while lower ratios were observed in P. lutea (3.4 and 4.5). In both cases, calcification under blue light exceeds even these of the control"

So, under controlled PAR with metal halides, these shallow water corals grew faster under blue light than white, but but photosynthesis decreased drastically under blue light when compared to white.

To contrast with that, though, another study (using three different species of Acropora - A. tenuis, A. muricata, and A. intermedia at 100 μmol and 200 μmol [low numbers, I know] with LED's) compared different spectrums (the first link below) and found that the inclusion of some red light drastically increased the growth rate (the second link below; the green/yellow spectrum made a little bit of difference, but they didn't add much of it in with any of the three spectrums used; it may have made a bigger difference at higher intensities):
The actual study:

Another contrasting study - Stylophora pistillata from shallow (3 m) and deep (40 m) waters; the shallow specimens showed the highest photosynthesis rates under full-spectrum lighting, but the deepwater specimens showed the highest photosynthesis rates under blue lighting (sadly, they didn't measure growth rates, and the study only took place between March and April, so it was rather short, and results may have changed if the study had been longer).

So, does blue light grow Acropora or other SPS faster than full-spectrum (white) light? It depends on the coral (both species and individual specimen), the location and depth/temperature the coral is from, what light the corals are photo-acclimated to (a shallow water coral growing under blue light in a hobbyist tank for 5 years is likely going to be acclimated to blue light despite its origins), year-round weather conditions (storms and such play a big role in determining what light is reaching the water), the clade of zooxanthellae they're using, etc.

Does the kind of light used (metal halide vs t5 vs LED, etc.) make a difference, or is it all in the spectrum, intensity, and photoperiod? I don't think we'll be able to answer this unless someone is able to make LED's with the exact same spectrum as those other types of lighting, but I'd guess any differences would be minimal.

So, lots of different things go into the growth, and again, fast growth doesn't necessarily equate to excellent health/coloration (it might, but it also might not). Does each coral species have it's own optimal spectrum for growth/health/color? Probably, but I doubt it would perfectly match a different species own optimal spectrum, so I don't know that it would much matter in our tanks - instead, we'd need to find the optimal spectrum for a broad range of corals, which may not be optimal for any particular coral we keep:

"Zooxanthellate corals display contrasting photoacclimation responses, coral cover, colony morphologies and genetic richness along depth gradients33,49,50,51,52,53,54, which collectively suggest that coral species occupy different light niches."

Personally, I'd expect to see similar (not the same, but similar) growth rates from a lot of corals under both blue and full-spectrum lights; some will likely do better under one than the other, but determining which is a lot of effort.

For that reason, like I've said before, at this point in time (barring a major, undeniable scientific breakthrough with our knowledge of corals and light), I would personally only suggest running the windex blue tanks if you really want to see the coral fluorescence pop (as mentioned by others, though, the colors may be best in the long run if you run different spectrums than just blue throughout the day). Like many others have mentioned in various forms by this point, I'd personally run a full-spectrum (white) light that leans somewhat more toward the blue side of things. Is that the "best" spectrum? Maybe, maybe not, but it seems like a good, safe place to start from.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently swapped out my LED bars (different manufacturer, more output, different spectrum) and saw a significant change in my parameters. I discussed it in the quoted post below. One thing I did not mention in that post, was that my pH also significantly increased from what it had ever been in the past. From peaking at ~8.0 to peaking at ~8.25 and above.

Here is the pH graph. I swapped the LED bars on 6. Jan. On 25. Jan I reduced my photo period from 16hrs to 12hrs. Note that the spikes are when I dose soda ash. I have an AIO so my pH probe is in the same chamber that I dose into.

1708181323031.png

Graph to illustrate the spikes from dosing.

1708182629205.png

...The outbreak was triggered by significant change in tank parameters due to a change in lighting. My Reef Brite XHOs started failing and I replaced them with Quanta Meso Blue Pros. My fixture is the two LED bars and two T5's. The Quantas sit about 1" lower than the XHOs did due to the mounting. I'm not sure what the PAR was when I removed the XHOs (didn't think to measure it at the time with my Seneye), but when installed them I had ~ 130 PAR on the sand at peak lighting. When I measured with the Quantas, I now have ~180 PAR or so on the sand. I also ramped the XHOs, the Quantas have no ramp. I left my light period the same (16hrs) and controlled by having only one Quata on at the times I was ramping with the XHOs. The corals did not react negatively to the change, so I did not make any changes to lighting period at the time. (@telegraham)

One day after I installed the Quantas I measured my Alkalinity at 6.2 dKH (Hanna) prior to a water change. Normally it's around 7-8 dKH. Since I was doing a water change with IO at 11dKH, I didn't think too much of it. During this time, I also noticed the water was a bit hazy. At the time I was not sure why, but now I'm assuming it was a bacterial bloom? After a couple of days of being hazy I installed some ROX 0.8. The water is now clear. Not sure if it was the carbon, or it just cleared on its own.

Four days after the water change, I measured:

Alkalinity = 4.4dKH! To confirm I checked with an API test kit and it measured four drops.
Ca = 410 ppm (Salifert), normal ~420 - 430ppm
NO3 = 0.0 ppm (Hanna HR), normal ~5 ppm
PO4 = 0.17 ppm (Hanna LR), normal ~0.3 ppm

The following day I sent out a sample to Fauna Marin, and they measured:

Alkalinity = 5.2 dKH (I measured 4.9 dKH with Hanna)
Ca = 374 ppm
NO3 = 0.18 ppm
Total Phosphate = 0.13 ppm, Ortho Phosphate = 0.11 ppm (I measured PO4 = 0.11 with Hanna)

To summarize, the light change appears to have:

Increased two-part consumption from 13ml/day (0.6 dKH/day) to 35ml/day (1.6 dKH/day)
Consumed 0.2ppm of PO4.

Prior to the dinos I was dealing with cyano. This tank was started five years ago with dry rock, but since that time I have also added packages from IPSF and Tampa Bay Saltwater.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think of Kelvin as a composite measurement of all photons, my oversimplification the final “color” blend the subject receives as expressed as a temperature
The scientific explanation of degree Kelvin for light is if a black body will be heaten up to this temperature K - it will emit exact this colour for our eyes. It has not to do with which wavelengths that is involved.

The sun is 6500 K (about). The spectra looks like this

1708184145462.png

This light´s intensity and colour can we trick our eyes to see in many different ways. Look at the spectra below - all of this spectra mimic (for our eyes) the light intensity and colour you get if you heat up a black body to 6500 degre K, The Kelvin scale starts at the absolute zero - which is -273.13 degree C = -459,67 degree F

1708183047757.png

1708182944076.png

1708183184057.png

1708183364923.png

1708183476105.png

Degree K is our perception of light colour in which the same colour can be achieved with thousands of different combinations of wavelengths and their combined strengths

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scientific explanation of degree Kelvin for light is if a black body will be heaten up to this temperature K - it will emit exact this colour for our eyes. It has not to do with which wavelengths that is involved.

The sun is 6500 K (about). The spectra looks like this

1708184145462.png

1708183364923.png

1708183476105.png

Degree K is our perception of light colour in which the same colour can be achieved with thousands of different combinations of wavelengths and their combined strengths

Sincerely Lasse
Concept is 100%. I'd question the calcs on a few of those but no matter..
@Doctorgori yes k temps are sort of useless
Especially with metal halides that really take artistic license with their " ratings".
Anything over like 12000k is probably wildly inaccurate. Ushio looks to be one of the few exceptions
The Phoenix 14000k is more of a "20000k class" I.e. a blue bulb.
Anyways ..a legitimate k temp is only a part of the story as you can see.

A collection of spectrums from that solar black body and related k temps.
Screenshot_20240217-102733.png

An led that truly would reproduce colors as you would see them underwater. Well at one spot, one time ect
Note that this particular led uses a violet not blue pump and RGB phosphors much like a t5.

Screenshot_20240217-103054.png

But even if you could buy these here in the US I'd wager that few actually want things that " natural".
There were(are) some t5's that may be close but are generally unpopular called lagoon or turquoise ect.
The 700nm peak is kind of " different".
Screenshot_20240217-104504.png

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This appears to be exactly what I observed with my lighting change, linking it to the data in Post #51.
Exactly - and a rise in pH caused by consumed CO2 in the water. CO2 as an resource - C incorporated into the compounds that photosynthesis produce and O2 as a waste

:)

Sincerely Lasse
@Lasse
Would it be that easy to test the effectiveness of light source by simply measuring disposed oxygen content of the water and change spectrum of lighting? Would this increase(or decrease) in photosynthesis show immediately or would the coral need time to adjust to the changed lighting? If I'm understanding correctly, it should show within the 1st light cycle.(?) I know if I add a light fixture, the pH increase will show that 1st day

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"In the end of the story, your jaw will drop in front a mature system under halides and that blue LED tank full of struggling frags will be ignored after that!"

Sorry I just have to laugh at this!
Have you ever seen a mature led tank in person, lol?
Look at this months TOTM!

I like your passion for halides, but for most of us here, the above statement is a joke to use a nice word.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"In the end of the story, your jaw will drop in front a mature system under halides and that blue LED tank full of struggling frags will be ignored after that!"

Sorry I just have to laugh at this!
Have you ever seen a mature led tank in person, lol?
Look at this months TOTM!

I like your passion for halides, but for most of us here, the above statement is a joke to use a nice word.
Thanks for letting me know you like cats (in your avatar now). I think you had a dog there before? Maybe I'm wrong... I like dogs. To tell the truth... I love dogs!!! Don't like cats as much.
Edit: you must be joking about the ROTM. LOL!
Please don't provoke me... this thread is running very smooth and with good info!

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
Thanks for letting me know you like cats (in your avatar now). I think you had a dog there before? Maybe I'm wrong... I like dogs. To tell the truth... I love dogs!!! Don't like cats as much.
I was injured on the job 3 years ago. Now retired I was going to get and train a Mali but its not fair to the dog if I cant keep up.
I have always had cats.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
I was injured on the job 3 years ago. Now retired I was going to get and train a Mali but its not fair to the dog if I cant keep up.
I have always had cats.
I remember about your injury. Hope you are doing great and getting better each day! I'm sure you miss that dog!!! Keep it up!

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were(are) some t5's that may be close but are generally unpopular called lagoon or turquoise ect.

This is interesting because some years ago I try to import a similar T5 from the US. It was just the 720 peak I was interested of (back to the discussion about emerson effect) I got the tubes but but in a thousand pieces. Has anyone test these tubes?

Note that this particular led uses a violet not blue pump
Interesting - I know that some LED does that - Somewhere in my memory say that at least the early Kessils was constructed that way - but i do nor know where it is coming from.

Sincerely Lasse

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concept is 100%. I'd question the calcs on a few of those but no matter..
@Doctorgori yes k temps are sort of useless
Especially with metal halides that really take artistic license with their " ratings".
Anything over like 12000k is probably wildly inaccurate. Ushio looks to be one of the few exceptions
The Phoenix 14000k is more of a "20000k class" I.e. a blue bulb.
Anyways ..a legitimate k temp is only a part of the story as you can see.

A collection of spectrums from that solar black body and related k temps.
Screenshot_20240217-102733.png

An led that truly would reproduce colors as you would see them underwater. Well at one spot, one time ect
Note that this particular led uses a violet not blue pump and RGB phosphors much like a t5.

Screenshot_20240217-103054.png

But even if you could buy these here in the US I'd wager that few actually want things that " natural".
I ordered some turquoise T5 bulbs from Germany. They are called Great Barrier Turquoise.

This is the spectrum:

IMG_8231.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back