Max observational quarantine

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you have to wait for a no medicine quarantine to be able to say the chance of disease is very low?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How long would you have to wait for a no medicine quarantine to be able to say the chance of disease is very low?
Having no medication is literally an observation tank and defeats the purpose of quarantine. You've gotten this far, add at least Ruby Rally pro which is reef safe and addresses an array of issues from parasitical to bacterial safely and effectively without the risks of copper overdosing. New fish are under stress of transport which can trigger disease and illness.
Assume all new fish have something.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In theory - there is no answer to that question. The reason 'QT' seems to work better than observation alone - is that it 'treats' asymptomatic fish before you notice the problem. Since some of the problems may only manifest after stressful periods - and can progress quickly - many people feel that preemptive QT is much safer than observation. All of that said - I would leave fish for a minimum of a month in observation. watching carefully for any signs of 'trouble'. Note I'm only answering that way because you asked the specific question.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only do an observational qt, I just can't get behind medicating otherwise healthy fish. That;s like otherwise healthy humans doing chemo just in case they may have cancer. There are so many variables, I know people that treat in their qt and still somehow manage to introduce a disease into their display. If you observe for a full 60 days your chances will be low, that's the answer to your question, "chances of disease is very low". I also know too many people that do the chemical qt that somehow manage to have unusually high mysterious deaths down the line, so you go figure.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially forever - for example, fish can harbor a chronic fluke infection for years and then some stressor can cause the infection to become acute.
Although I don’t suggest it except in special instances like flashlight fish, mandarins, garden eels and other special species, 45 days will help rule out many issues, but without treatment, you’ll lose the fish in isolation, your display fish would be protected.
Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back