Maxspect Ethereal for SPS- What Are Your Settings?

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 50g SCA cube (24"x24"x20") that I'm lighting with an Ethereal. Currently have a few montis and a birdsnest and am trying get get intensity dialed in. I know with many other LED units folks dial the intensity back quite a bit. Can any Ethereal owners chime in on where you are setting intensity levels? I've dialed mine back to 60-70% as I'm acclimating the corals but am curious whether folks are running them at higher or lower intensity settings for SPS and what kind of results they are getting. Here's a shot of my current settings:

3377b82528c722ed41563e47b645e3a0.png

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a $14 lux meter on the tanks. The lux par conversion of most every led I have seen at a 1:1 white blue ratio is very close to 60.

So 30,000 lux / 60 =500 par
A higher blue ratio = a higher conversion number according to D riddle(it also has less spectrum)

From many reliable folks the slight color differences are irrelevant for the most part.(8h mh or 20k MH grows same coral) So set the color to eye, (make tank look great) then set intensity with the lux meter.

That light is pretty powerful. you Par choices are up to you really.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lighting-upgrade-with-a-lux-meter-saltyfilmfolks.248417/

With the Maxspects once you meter it at maximum and do the math at 60, compare it to the factory PAR spects. you'll see probably an near exact correlation.

OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @saltyfilmfolks, I'll have to check out the lux meter, getting even a general idea of where I am will be helpful. There's really nothing out there on these lights in terms of folks sharing their setting so I'm hopeful this thread can get a conversation going. I think that I've had the thing dialed up way too far, montis have been really bleached out and water params all in line. I've dropped my overall intensity even further to below 50% with an even spectrum across all of the frequencies. I'll see how the corals respond, dial it in from there and share my settings as things progress.

MorReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TechnicalFisher Let me know how this goes, I have very similar setting to yours atm and having my monti bleach a little. Wish more people were sharing their successful profiles.

clem1975

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @saltyfilmfolks, I'll have to check out the lux meter, getting even a general idea of where I am will be helpful. There's really nothing out there on these lights in terms of folks sharing their setting so I'm hopeful this thread can get a conversation going. I think that I've had the thing dialed up way too far, montis have been really bleached out and water params all in line. I've dropped my overall intensity even further to below 50% with an even spectrum across all of the frequencies. I'll see how the corals respond, dial it in from there and share my settings as things progress.
I'm running channels 1&2 @80% & the rest at 100%. Getting 350 par at top of rock work in a nuvo 40. And 145 at bottom using seneye.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back