Maybe a major blunder on my part..

  • Thread starter Thread starter tdubs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tdubs

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2025
Messages
65
Reaction score
57
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still newish to this hobby, but may have made a major miscalculation in my aquascape. My understanding was that the peaceful type of encrusters (Cyphastrea, psammocora, Monti, etc) in a crowded tank that when they touch, they typically just form a border war, where a white line would become a dead zone and the coral would resume growing in other directions for real estate. I always knew the guys with stingers needed room and have planned accordingly for those.


The problem is that I have a lot of "peaceful" encrusters of varying type, that have now started encrusting. I was told by another reefer that they can never touch, and that if they do, one coral will likely kill the entire other encruster.


I was hoping to allow them to all grow naturally into each other, not a full on nuclear war... So, what's the expert consensus here- total wipeout of colonies or just border wars?

087f1bb5-259c-4270-b561-1d5e1e73eb85.jpg
 
That white line you are talking about, it doesn't stay still, it moves in one direction, and as it moves the coral behind grows. In the end it will be only one coral.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new