OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man! I remember the first time I saw cleaner shrimp molt I freaked out, but that crab is WILD!

good luck with your params, have you tested your wc water?
It’s not the first time it’s happened with my pompom crabs lol, the big giveaway is a molt won’t be holding an anemone

I haven’t yet, waiting until I mix up the next batch. I’ve been using reef crystals.

FA16E5C1-F271-44F7-8E16-FAEB2F115371.jpeg

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not the first time it’s happened with my pompom crabs lol, the big giveaway is a molt won’t be holding an anemone

I haven’t yet, waiting until I mix up the next batch. I’ve been using reef crystals.

FA16E5C1-F271-44F7-8E16-FAEB2F115371.jpeg
How reef safe is that little guy? Because there is definitely a spot for him in my tank!

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How reef safe is that little guy? Because there is definitely a spot for him in my tank!
Completely reef safe from my experience and what I’ve read. I caught him poking my lps once, but I think he just wanted to see if it’d eat him before he decided to sit under it lol. They are very shy though, so definitely watch out for bullies. Won’t see them much in anything larger than a nano.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely reef safe from my experience and what I’ve read. I caught him poking my lps once, but I think he just wanted to see if it’d eat him before he decided to sit under it lol. They are very shy though, so definitely watch out for bullies. Won’t see them much in anything larger than a nano.
I’ve got a 6 line, 2 clowns, a damsel, and a lawnmower blenny. In my 28g nano :)

should be fine...would he be hard to catch if it turns out he’s a reef terrorist? I’ve heard of crabs eating zoas

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 6 line, 2 clowns, a damsel, and a lawnmower blenny. In my 28g nano :)

should be fine...would he be hard to catch if it turns out he’s a reef terrorist? I’ve heard of crabs eating zoas
Unless you want to pull your entire tank apart, he’s not going anywhere. I’ve tried and failed to remove one from a 36g for a few months now...

your zoas should be fine! They just eat tiny bits of leftover food, and they hold anemones in both claws so they can’t pick at anything. I’ve caught mine pitifully trying to pull food to himself with his legs before;Hilarious

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you want to pull your entire tank apart, he’s not going anywhere. I’ve tried and failed to remove one from a 36g for a few months now...

your zoas should be fine! They just eat tiny bits of leftover food, and they hold anemones in both claws so they can’t pick at anything. I’ve caught mine pitifully trying to pull food to himself with his legs before;Hilarious
Oh he’s gonna be happy in my tank! I’ve wanted a crab for a year but kept talking myself out of it. Does he come with his own pompoms?

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh he’s gonna be happy in my tank! I’ve wanted a crab for a year but kept talking myself out of it. Does he come with his own pompoms?
You’ll love it, they’re so fun to watch. A healthy one should have pompoms, yes. Sometimes they’ll only have one but they can propagate it, but if they don’t have any that’s not good.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You, Sir, have the most awesome 3ish gallons of water I have ever seen! There is nothing that I don't love about your nano. From the "scape" to the inhabitants, it's amazing. Good luck with your continued education into this amazing under water world. Life got in the way of my dream to be a marine biologist, at 76 yoa, I'll live vicariously through your pursuit of that dream. lol

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You, Sir, have the most awesome 3ish gallons of water I have ever seen! There is nothing that I don't love about your nano. From the "scape" to the inhabitants, it's amazing. Good luck with your continued education into this amazing under water world. Life got in the way of my dream to be a marine biologist, at 76 yoa, I'll live vicariously through your pursuit of that dream. lol
Thank you so much for your kind words! Ever since I first got into the hobby, I’ve greatly enjoyed sharing these animals with others and seeing how much interest and admiration they can spark. So every time I get a comment like this it really makes my day! ;Joyful
I hope through studying marine biology I can continue to do this, and reach even more people

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added the first dose of Mg last night, and the second dose tonight. Also added the first dose of Ca and Alk tonight. Really excited to see coral growth pick up!

The micromussa now has at least seven polyps! I found three little babies last night

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This algae is becoming a pain in the butt :mad:. I tried a three day black out which did nothing but upset my digi. I do have a plant light on the other side of the room though, and I think that may be contributing, so I’m going to try shielding the tank from that light while it’s running (I run the plant light at night). We'll see if that makes any difference.

still keeping up with water changes, nitrates tested at 7ppm yesterday. Currently mixing up a new batch of sw, using a brand new, well rolled bucket of reef crystals. I think the one I had been using had gotten humid and crystallized:confused:

I’m also keeping up dosing, yesterday bringing the levels up to:

Ca - 420ppm
KH - 8.5 dKH
Mg - 1375

I’m happy with that, so now I’ll figure out dosing to maintain those numbers!

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question..do you still use the stock return pump for this tank? I got the 5 gallon lifegard and the return pump is too loud.. I'm about out of tricks and might switch to a different brand of pump. Digging the barnacle blennies by the way, I might go that route with my tank.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 157 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 32 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back