Show me your pico tank setup! Need inspo for 4g shrimp tank

shrimplover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and girls,

I have set up a 4g pico tank (no sump) a while ago since I wanted a home exclusively for my sexy shrimps. I thought I had it all worked out with a skimmer and HOB filter solution but with the shrimps in I just can't make it work. I have bought so many dif things by now (airstone filter, internal filter, hang on filter) without really nailing it. Either too much flow, too little, too chunky, too something. Currently I have an airstone and the Oase 350 skimmer in. Skimmer is causing sooo many microbubbles. And yeah I'm obviously missing filtration.

So I'm looking for inspiration especially for filtration but light could also be nice.

Anyhow I would love to see YOUR setup and hear your thoughts on why you set up your tank the way you did.

Thank youuuuuu

IMG_9720.JPG

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and girls,

I have set up a 4g pico tank (no sump) a while ago since I wanted a home exclusively for my sexy shrimps. I thought I had it all worked out with a skimmer and HOB filter solution but with the shrimps in I just can't make it work. I have bought so many dif things by now (airstone filter, internal filter, hang on filter) without really nailing it. Either too much flow, too little, too chunky, too something. Currently I have an airstone and the Oase 350 skimmer in. Skimmer is causing sooo many microbubbles. And yeah I'm obviously missing filtration.

So I'm looking for inspiration especially for filtration but light could also be nice.

Anyhow I would love to see YOUR setup and hear your thoughts on why you set up your tank the way you did.

Thank youuuuuu

IMG_9720.JPG
I would consider removing that airstone. It will just reduce pH unnecessary. Also forget about nano skimmers. They are all junk.
Many surface skimmers are working suboptimal too, but one with an outlet on the front instead of on the bottom would produce more controllable flow. I don't own the oase surface skimmer but I am using an eheim eheim skim350 for my 6g frag tank. It works fine for the most part but is prone to sucking in animals so I had to 3d print another inlet. The mounting solution of these surface skimmers are all junk too and the suction pads have stopped working after one day so I had to print a bracket.
You can also just use a tiny fountain pump.

I also recommend starting with live rock instead of dry rock. This will reduce a lot of future issues. Such a small tank needs every help with its microbiology that it can get.

What light are you planning to get?

IMG_20240128_202648 (1).jpg

OP
OP
S

shrimplover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tavero!

Thank you very much for your input! I have actually already removed the airstone an skimmer just a few hours ago. The suboptimal flow was bad on that Oase skimmer (great mounting and suctions cups though). I chose that one over Eheim and Blau because it was super easy to clean. And it sure was but yeah that output wasn't working.

Actually so funny you mention fountain pump cause I found an Aquael mini pad filter in the back of my closet. When you remove the sponge pad it looks and works like a fountain pump. Added padding inside of the intake latice (that holds the sponge) to avoid animals getting sucked in. It agitates the surface and the flow is adjustable so for now it will do.

Ideally I would find a nano HOB with built in skimmer like the Tidal 35 (it's really perfect) I already have on my 13 gallon, so I wouldn't have to add a separate skimmer. Also I would like to have a place for a bag of Matrix.
What's your opinion: Would you think a skimmer like Eheim and the "fountain pump" would be sufficent or would I need more in terms of filtration eventually?

I actually do love my dry rock. I like to know what's in my tank - from the start at least... If I were to start with live rock I would dark cure it for months but I don't have that kind of patience ;) I haven't run into too many diatoms with my other tank.

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2024-01-28 kl. 21.04.00.png
    Skærmbillede 2024-01-28 kl. 21.04.00.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
OP
OP
S

shrimplover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider removing that airstone. It will just reduce pH unnecessary. Also forget about nano skimmers. They are all junk.
Many surface skimmers are working suboptimal too, but one with an outlet on the front instead of on the bottom would produce more controllable flow. I don't own the oase surface skimmer but I am using an eheim eheim skim350 for my 6g frag tank. It works fine for the most part but is prone to sucking in animals so I had to 3d print another inlet. The mounting solution of these surface skimmers are all junk too and the suction pads have stopped working after one day so I had to print a bracket.
You can also just use a tiny fountain pump.

I also recommend starting with live rock instead of dry rock. This will reduce a lot of future issues. Such a small tank needs every help with its microbiology that it can get.

What light are you planning to get?

IMG_20240128_202648 (1).jpg
oh forgot - in terms of lighting I have NO idea yet. I have Fluval nano marine on my 13 gallon and I'm not totally in love. I would want something that is app run, that is all I know for now....

I actually went for the Redsea Max 50 for the other one first but my glass was too thin and it was just impossoble to mount it elegantly

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tavero!

Thank you very much for your input! I have actually already removed the airstone an skimmer just a few hours ago. The suboptimal flow was bad on that Oase skimmer (great mounting and suctions cups though). I chose that one over Eheim and Blau because it was super easy to clean. And it sure was but yeah that output wasn't working.

Actually so funny you mention fountain pump cause I found an Aquael mini pad filter in the back of my closet. When you remove the sponge pad it looks and works like a fountain pump. Added padding inside of the intake latice (that holds the sponge) to avoid animals getting sucked in. It agitates the surface and the flow is adjustable so for now it will do.

Ideally I would find a nano HOB with built in skimmer like the Tidal 35 (it's really perfect) I already have on my 13 gallon, so I wouldn't have to add a separate skimmer. Also I would like to have a place for a bag of Matrix.
What's your opinion: Would you think a skimmer like Eheim and the "fountain pump" would be sufficent or would I need more in terms of filtration eventually?

I actually do love my dry rock. I like to know what's in my tank - from the start at least... If I were to start with live rock I would dark cure it for months but I don't have that kind of patience ;) I haven't run into too many diatoms with my other tank.

No idea if that's enough filtration for a dry rock tank. I have set up all of my tanks with live rock and it is responsible for the majority of filtration and nitrification. No need to dark cycle or cycle at all. I was able to instantly put in animals from day one.

When it comes to pests, sooner or later you will get them too. It's better to have a healthy biodiversity from the start so the pests can't take over the empty tank.

Sadly not a lot of options for nano reef lights if you are also looking for app control.

OP
OP
S

shrimplover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea if that's enough filtration for a dry rock tank. I have set up all of my tanks with live rock and it is responsible for the majority of filtration and nitrification. No need to dark cycle or cycle at all. I was able to instantly put in animals from day one.

When it comes to pests, sooner or later you will get them too. It's better to have a healthy biodiversity from the start so the pests can't take over the empty tank.

Sadly not a lot of options for nano reef lights if you are also looking for app control.
Did you watch the big BRStv biome test on Youtube? They set up 16 tanks with dif rock and sand types and approaches. Experiment showed that dry rock /live sand combo actually did better in many biome aspects and were able to fight off many pests better than live rock. It's very complex, too complex for me to explain here. You should watch it! It's an amazing experiment.

I have thought about the Popbloom light but I have no idea if it's any good. You are roight, not many options if you wan tapp control. Sigh..

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you watch the big BRStv biome test on Youtube? They set up 16 tanks with dif rock and sand types and approaches. Experiment showed that dry rock /live sand combo actually did better in many biome aspects and were able to fight off many pests better than live rock. It's very complex, too complex for me to explain here. You should watch it! It's an amazing experiment.

I have thought about the Popbloom light but I have no idea if it's any good. You are roight, not many options if you wan tapp control. Sigh..
I did watch a brs cycling tank video but have drawn a different conclusion. They started the tanks with only a pair of clownfish and the rockscape. If you start a tank empty, obviously it will look cleaner for a longer period of time. But as soon you'll put corals into it you'll also introduce all sort of things. Also, measuring the biome of the water column doesn't relate to the biome and free surface that's available on the rock.

There are dry rock tanks here on reef2reef, which even after one year, still aren't finished cycling. Dark curing also doesn't make sense. You'll just delay algae growth. Well it's your choice but I prefer to take my chances with pests than battling with an out of balance tank for a year.

OP
OP
S

shrimplover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the BRS cycling video. It's the 16 tank biome experiment. It's a series. You should relaly watch it!

My 15 gallon is fully cycled, totally in balance and it's filled with macroalgea, shrimps and fishes. Works absolutely great!!!! So happy with my dry rock and live sand :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the accidental freshwater mix up lol
1000002041.jpg

And my prior
1000002485.jpg

air stone with 100 percent weekly water changes. Ai prime light. No issues with airstone. Drilled lid to control evap on both.

You can do live rock and start instantly or dry rock and fritz and start instantly either way works. One is not greater over the other. More diversity on live rock is all.

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with an internal skimmer pump. No shrimp at the moment but that's my end goal. 1g PICO as a mini frag tank for now. Had to fishing wire the top of the overflow to keep the snails out.

Attachments

• 20240221_094236.jpg
    20240221_094236.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240221_094845.jpg
    20240221_094845.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 32

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.1g

Attachments

• BB772BAD-FB2D-4820-A4AE-E706638255FE.jpeg
    BB772BAD-FB2D-4820-A4AE-E706638255FE.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 37A7A1AC-8075-4D13-979F-782944D72BDF.jpeg
    37A7A1AC-8075-4D13-979F-782944D72BDF.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 32
  • 2E0FEC9E-D86C-4A48-8930-D0BA981F1E84.jpeg
    2E0FEC9E-D86C-4A48-8930-D0BA981F1E84.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 32
  • BF968A6B-7FE1-422C-8BB4-A7BD96CAF752.jpeg
    BF968A6B-7FE1-422C-8BB4-A7BD96CAF752.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 6B57773F-95D1-4BE9-B350-90A54482D1D7.jpeg
    6B57773F-95D1-4BE9-B350-90A54482D1D7.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 2821ADB8-4EAC-4006-9C87-F1AA948C5D54.jpeg
    2821ADB8-4EAC-4006-9C87-F1AA948C5D54.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 32

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and girls,

Thank youuuuuu

IMG_9720.JPG
What kind of shrimp are you getting?? Shrimps are fun

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back