Media Reactor Question

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Phosguard in my reactor. I've found that sometimes the PO4 will drop to were I like it before the Phosguard has been exhausted and is still able to be used. Is it okay to leave the media in the reactor turned off for a weeks at a time until its needed again?

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with doing that is the water will stagnate and could develop algae as well as allow for potential bacterial blooms or other toxins to build up in it. Then when you turn the flow back on to it, all that nastiness gets dumped back into the tank environment. With Phosguard being relatively inexpensive, I'd just dump it and start with fresh the next time you need it.

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally , If you shut if off completely at the very least before I put it back on line I would flush about a gallon into a bucket to get the stale stagnant water out of the reactor. Easily done at time of water change . I would probably have it on slow trickle constantly rather than off and on. Finding that happy point where you not stripping too much or too little is the tricky part , but with testing every couple of days to dial it in than you should be good to go.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back