Nuvo 20 Build

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up an Ultra Rainbow Bubbletip nem for my clowns. While getting them acclimated to it (put them all in a small basket the sump). The wife and I have talked of moving somewhere with 5+ acres and now plan to do so sometime in the next year +/-. Part of that will require sale of our current house and moving into a temporary rental for 6 months. The thought came to me that a nano tank would be muuuch easier to deal with during a move than the big tank, as well as accepted in more placed. So I picked up a Nuvo 20 and stand from a local club member with the intention of putting the clowns and the must keep corals in it. Then later when moving day is upon us shut the big tank down and sell off the other corals and livestock. Then later once moved in and settled go for the dream tank setup.

The Setup is:

Nuvo 20 AIO
Upgraded the dual pumps to a single MightyJet DC pump
Hygger Mini Wave Maker
Marine Magic ATO
x2 Prime HD's for more even light coverage. (Already had these)
Modified ReefLED mounting arms by Redsea. (Already had these)
Twin Innovative Marine custom filter caddy's
Colbalt Neo-Therm 150w with Hygger temp controller
AquaMax FR-SE hang-on reactor - This will be put in stand and setup to grow macro algae as well as pods and other micro fauna. A separate pump will be used for this once all the parts are in.

This was the setup when I got it. It ended up being a bit too tall and the wife said it did not go with the rest of the décor. So I tore it down, lowered it by 6", re-skinned, and painted it to match the other stand.

20191101_103857.jpg

20201013_135001_resized.jpg

Plenty of space for storage as well.

20201013_135044_resized.jpg

The controller for the Hygger Mini Wave Maker. While the controller is rather large, the pump is about the same diameter as a silver dollar, moves a surprising amount of water for its size. Also you can set up to 5 different profile modes depending on the time of day, creating different flow patterns in the tank.

20201013_135056_resized.jpg

Not the best picture of the wave maker, but this thing is tiny, but absolutely silent and perfect for a tank this size. prop guard is small enough that there is not much risk to a wandering nem.

Hopefully...

20201013_135429_resized.jpg

I had the Redsea mounting arms lying around and found that they would hang the Prime HD's in the perfect spot over the tank if I could mount them to the arms. I picked up some stainless screws and nuts, drilled a single hole in the middle of the plastic mounting cap of the mount and everything mounted up perfectly.

20201013_135123_resized.jpg

20201013_135141_resized.jpg

The LED mounts work on glass at 8mm or thicker and the Nuvo 20 glass is only 6mm. So I took a 4mm sheet of acrylic and snapped out squares large enough for the mount and filled the gap so the mounts are secure.

20201013_135153_resized.jpg

She's up and running. Cycled with cured live rock, live sand, and Turbostart 900 was definitely the way to go. Primary cycle done in about 4-5 days (ammonia source from the sand) Did a 80% water change, let it sit empty for about a week to make sure there were no unusual spikes, then started moving things in a little at a time. I Also added a pair of 3D Reefing diffusers to the lights to eliminate the disco and improved blending. Light settings are set to 66% on the UV, 58% blues, 0 Green, 4% red and lastly 20% White is producing about 300 PAR at the top of the rockwork on the left side, and a fairly even 125-150 across the bed. This is nearly identical to the big tank so the frags I put in there are already acclimated to this spectrum and PAR level.

There's still more corals to move over and to decide where I want to mount them all, but I'm doing it in stages.

20201019_111026_HDR(1).jpg

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Now if only the nem would move to a spot where it can be seen... I was thinking about putting a temporary shade up over it so it will move to a better spot.
Yeah those nems are something else. I have a nem in a nano and I kind of regret it because they don’t just stay still, they love traveling all over the tank which causes corals to start stinging and become stressed

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a newer setup I don't see it as as big of an issue. When the nem goes on walk about and settles near/next to a coral I can just move the coral. On an established tank, it's not as easy, but then there's typically a large enough colony that it won't be a big loss if some don't make it if I cannot get the nem to move. The other option is to use a powerhead or painter's brush and agitate the nem to release from the rock (if possible) and get it to move.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll defiantly try this thank you!

In a newer setup I don't see it as as big of an issue. When the nem goes on walk about and settles near/next to a coral I can just move the coral. On an established tank, it's not as easy, but then there's typically a large enough colony that it won't be a big loss if some don't make it if I cannot get the nem to move. The other option is to use a powerhead or painter's brush and agitate the nem to release from the rock (if possible) and get it to move.

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can reach the foot then take a paint brush like this one. Gently move it back and forth along the edge of the foot and rock with light pressure trying to get in between the two . This will agitate the nem and it'll start to release from the rock. it may take a few min of persuasion but eventually it'll release. If it's nestled down into a hole in the rock then point a small powerhead at it and turn it on. Usually within a day the nem will move.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the valuable information, thanks so much !

If you can reach the foot then take a paint brush like this one. Gently move it back and forth along the edge of the foot and rock with light pressure trying to get in between the two . This will agitate the nem and it'll start to release from the rock. it may take a few min of persuasion but eventually it'll release. If it's nestled down into a hole in the rock then point a small powerhead at it and turn it on. Usually within a day the nem will move.

Back