strange blemishes on Niger trigger

  • Thread starter Thread starter BilboB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Neobenedenia flukes are large, like 5 mm long. I can easily see them.
 
Neobenedenia flukes are large, like 5 mm long. I can easily see them.
These tilefish had a heavy fluke infection. This picture was taken one day before the fish in the back started breathing heavily and stopped feeding. I performed a FW dip afterward and 20+ flukes came off. The flukes are often completely invisible.

1787713838277.png
 
These tilefish had a heavy fluke infection. This picture was taken one day before the fish in the back started breathing heavily and stopped feeding. I performed a FW dip afterward and 20+ flukes came off. The flukes are often completely invisible.

1787713838277.png
Those must have been one of the other types of flukes - those are much smaller than Neobenedenia.
 
Those must have been one of the other types of flukes - those are much smaller than Neobenedenia.
They were indeed Neobenedenia, confirmed by our fish medics here too. Completely invisible on the fish until the FW dip was done. I had to go the hypo route, and luckily they never came back after.

1787736558353.png
 
Well, the good thing about Neobenedenia is that you can see the flukes. Right now only 1 of the 10 or so fish are infected. If it starts getting out of hand, I'll dose the tank with prazi.

There was a study done, and a single egg can start a full infection. I think you should treat now, it will be easier.
 
Neobenedenia flukes are large, like 5 mm long. I can easily see them.

Not the juveniles. In an active infection, you will see all sizes. Larger hosts will also grow larger ones.
 
Perhaps I have something other than Neobenedenia, since my flukes are white, not transparent. If I do another freshwater dip, I'll try to photograph them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new