Media Reactor Size: Usage vs Maximum?

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that with a lot of equipment in this hobby- lights, return pumps, powerheads, etc.- it makes sense to buy an oversized model and run it at a lower output percentage, as opposed to relying on running a model that has a max spec at your goal level at 100% intensity.

I am new to media reactors, and I am unsure whether the logic for sizing them would be the same. Here is the specific instance I’m looking at.

For a roughly 32 gallon aquarium, if I were to run BRS high capacity GFO in an innovative marine minimax desktop media reactor: according to BRS guidelines, I’d be looking at 8 Tablespoons of GFO in the reactor. 8 tablespoons translates to 118 mL. The innovative Marine minimax desktop size listed specs say it can hold up to approximately 150 mL of media. That works out to approximately 78.6% capacity.

While I’m not an expert on the matter of GFO specifically, I’m of the view from other reefing matters that sometimes reefers have no issue going beyond usage recommendations? So, let’s just say I pack my tank dense and it ends up being a phosphate producing machine. Would it be okay, and relatable, to end up at like 10 Tablespoons for the same amount of water despite only being recommended 8? And, in that case, that puts me pretty much right up against the max that reactor can hold.

So I’m wondering if this is alright or if I would be far better off with the next size up, which holds 300mL of media.

This reminds me of what BRS always says about not under sizing nor over sizing your protein skimmer. Like, a protein skimmer meant for a 300 gallon system is gonna be suboptimal in a 60 gallon system, even if you turn down the flow. The thing is though, there are a bunch of different reactor medias and I’d imagine they all work differently in regards to success using less vs the max that a reactor can handle. Like, with bio pellets, it seems like tumbling is a good thing, so I’d imagine you’d want more vacant space in the media chamber as opposed to packing it densely.

So, are there any guidelines worth following in regards to sizing media reactors relative to desired media usage vs maximum media usage values?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're thinking specifically for carbon, I definitely wouldn't want an oversized reactor. I don't think you want carbon tumbling at all due to the risk of suspended carbon particles, HLLE etc... I run carbon and I just pack it tight in a media bag in the sump.

OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're thinking specifically for carbon, I definitely wouldn't want an oversized reactor. I don't think you want carbon tumbling at all due to the risk of suspended carbon particles, HLLE etc... I run carbon and I just pack it tight in a media bag in the sump.
Just curious, how big is your current tank that you’re doing this in?

I currently have a JBJ 20G Cubey, it’s like a biocube in that it has a hood with an LED panel. As I want to transition from FOWLR to SPS reef, I realize that for a number of reasons my Cubey is super suboptimal. So, I plan on transitioning over to a 30.9 gallon rimless cube by UNS, and installing an aftermarket (either DIY or made by Octo Aquatics or a company like that) baffle system to make it an AIO.

While that’s not such a big jump in system volume, the ability to have equipment that sits proud of the water surface will be a MASSIVE improvement. Like, filter roller, skimmer, reactor, UV… list goes on. I currently run a bag of GFO and a bag of carbon but I figure its worth upgrading to reactor usage in the new setup.

So far, the absolute smallest reactor I’ve found online is the TMC Reef Filter Nano 50, model #9614. Even then, thats 100mL capacity for media. In accordance with BRS, you should use 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons, so I’d be running about 3 tablespoons whinch works out to 44mL… not even half the potential capacity of that media reactor.

So I’m confused where this leaves me. Does this physically mean that you just can’t run carbon reactors on anything less than 67 gallons? (67 because 6.7 tablespoons = 100 mL and 6.7 TBSP*10 gallons/TBSP= 67 gallons)

I guess I’m not opposed to staying with a media bag, especially if it’s the better option, but I thought it would be beneficial to go reactor once I have the space for it? I also should mention I plan on using an HOB refugium. Between the fuge, a filter roller, and a skimmer, I’d assume you’d be doing enough to fight nitrates without the added benefits of carbon. But, carbon certainly makes a visible Difference on water clarity? I know it seems like it would be nice to run GFO in a reactor but now you have me wondering whether carbon doesn’t justify that same upgrade?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, how big is your current tank that you’re doing this in?

I currently have a JBJ 20G Cubey, it’s like a biocube in that it has a hood with an LED panel. As I want to transition from FOWLR to SPS reef, I realize that for a number of reasons my Cubey is super suboptimal. So, I plan on transitioning over to a 30.9 gallon rimless cube by UNS, and installing an aftermarket (either DIY or made by Octo Aquatics or a company like that) baffle system to make it an AIO.

While that’s not such a big jump in system volume, the ability to have equipment that sits proud of the water surface will be a MASSIVE improvement. Like, filter roller, skimmer, reactor, UV… list goes on. I currently run a bag of GFO and a bag of carbon but I figure its worth upgrading to reactor usage in the new setup.

So far, the absolute smallest reactor I’ve found online is the TMC Reef Filter Nano 50, model #9614. Even then, thats 100mL capacity for media. In accordance with BRS, you should use 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons, so I’d be running about 3 tablespoons whinch works out to 44mL… not even half the potential capacity of that media reactor.

So I’m confused where this leaves me. Does this physically mean that you just can’t run carbon reactors on anything less than 67 gallons? (67 because 6.7 tablespoons = 100 mL and 6.7 TBSP*10 gallons/TBSP= 67 gallons)

I guess I’m not opposed to staying with a media bag, especially if it’s the better option, but I thought it would be beneficial to go reactor once I have the space for it? I also should mention I plan on using an HOB refugium. Between the fuge, a filter roller, and a skimmer, I’d assume you’d be doing enough to fight nitrates without the added benefits of carbon. But, carbon certainly makes a visible Difference on water clarity? I know it seems like it would be nice to run GFO in a reactor but now you have me wondering whether carbon doesn’t justify that same upgrade?
to be honest, I just always have used carbon, it could very well be that I don't "need" it. I have a reefer 350 so 70 gal display 20 gal sump. Not sure if this is feasible or recommended, but maybe you could put the desired amount of carbon in a media bag, tie it tight as needed to keep it all packed together, then put that into your reactor so the carbon stays condensed even though it would not be enough to fill the reactor without the bag? That way you get the benefit of flow through the reactor without using too much carbon or having a lesser amount tumble around. Plenty of people don't run carbon at all or only run it when they suspect a potential chemical contaminant, so it's definitely not "needed" constantly

OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so as far as GFO though. Its my understanding you want it tumbling slightly?

So like in the case of the example I gave where 150ml is the max but I’m only using about 118mL of the stuff. Is that the maximum you can realistically fill that reactor for GFO usage since you need to leave some room for GFO to tumble?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back