Media Reactors

zazy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the purpose of a media reactor? I am building a 60 gallon that has a sump with a reef mat and skimmer. Would a media reactor be necessary? My LFS has bubble magus on sale for $50.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's for when you want to use some sort of "media" - carbon, gfo, whatever you want to put in there to get some affect

Wave Whisperer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the purpose of a media reactor? I am building a 60 gallon that has a sump with a reef mat and skimmer. Would a media reactor be necessary? My LFS has bubble magus on sale for $50.
Basically its just for fluidizing media. Your media can be Granular Ferric Oxide(GFO) , Granular Activated carbon(GAC) or bio-pellets etc. Depends on what issues with your tank you need to solve. But seeing that you are just starting a new tank, my advice is to start out and slowly learn the ropes before using any media.

A reactor is good to have down the road, but not a necessity when starting off IMO. I do own and use one, but basically I'm having phosphate issues and thus requires constant use of GFO to keep in check.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people use them to run items like gfo and carbon, some use them for biomedia.
They are not a must have.

And if you have simple DIY skills, you can make one out of pvc pretty easily.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubble magus reactors are simple but pretty effective.i run carbon & GFO in mine in my reeftank & use one for purigen on my freshwater tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back