Medium sized aggressive tank upgrade

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm getting a new tank soon from my housemate's dad. He is giving it to me for free and delivering it for free, which is great. But I know nothing of the tank yet, except that it is bigger than my current tank. Aaaand that is it. Buuut I have been doing some thinking and decided I want to get a "Dampiera Grouper/sailfin dottyback" i.e. Labracinus cyclophthalmus.

I want to work around this fish. Im thinking for tankmates something aggressive and going to grow to a similar size. It is supposed to get to between 20-24cm, but most likely smaller in captivity.

Tankmates in the works are:
Forsters Hawkfish, Paracirrhites forsteri -20cm
Domino Damsel, Dascyllus trimaculatus -15cm
Flagfin Wrasse, Pteragogus flagellifer -20cm

Any suggestions/info/experiences would be great. Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be very aggressive. Add the hawk and wrasse first and let them get established before adding the damsel and dottyback.

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, that's a good point. They are all at work at the moment and I'm hoping no-one buys them before I get this tank. The wrasse is the biggest, then the dottyback followed by the hawk. We don't have dominos at the moment, but they are always available. Do you have any other suggestions?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, that's a good point. They are all at work at the moment and I'm hoping no-one buys them before I get this tank. The wrasse is the biggest, then the dottyback followed by the hawk. We don't have dominos at the moment, but they are always available. Do you have any other suggestions?
Canthigaster puffers, dwarf angels, snowflake eel.

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canthigaster puffers, dwarf angels, snowflake eel.
I had considered puffers and eels, I'm curious about the dwarf angels, would they be able to hold their own? They would be the smallest fish in the tank

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most angels can hold their own fairly well against most. They're fast swimmers so can stay out of trouble pretty well too.

Do you have access to damsels that size? I've never seen a damsel for sale bigger than 4-5cm and never seen a domino bigger than 3-4cm. I've seen them in tanks quite large, but not for sale. However it's a very different hobby in Australia [emoji23]

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they can be pretty feisty.
Good to know, thanks! Do you have much knowledge about Tetractenos hamiltoni? I can catch these anywhere I go and have always thought they would be a very curious addition to a tank

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most angels can hold their own fairly well against most. They're fast swimmers so can stay out of trouble pretty well too.

Do you have access to damsels that size? I've never seen a damsel for sale bigger than 4-5cm and never seen a domino bigger than 3-4cm. I've seen them in tanks quite large, but not for sale. However it's a very different hobby in Australia [emoji23]
Well, my lfs is also my work, so I have access to things that aren't normally ordered in due to no demand. I.e. domino damsels of all sizes [emoji14] I would live to start off with a little one, but I feel all the other inhabitants would see it as a snack. So 5cm+ would probably have to be the way to go

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, thanks! Do you have much knowledge about Tetractenos hamiltoni? I can catch these anywhere I go and have always thought they would be a very curious addition to a tank
I don't have any experience with that species, so wouldn't be able to say one way or another how they would fare.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you encountered the family before?
Not that genus, it is rarely encountered in the trade. My experience is with those found in the trade, whether marine, estuarine, or freshwater. I would be reluctant to venture a guess as to it's aquarium demeanor, as puffer personalities can vary greatly between species, and even between individuals within the same species.

What I was able to find out though, is that they are colonial in the wild, but if one gets trapped in a smaller body of water, such as a tidal pool, it will kill any fish it's size or smaller. So it may not make a great fish to be kept in a community.

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that genus, it is rarely encountered in the trade. My experience is with those found in the trade, whether marine, estuarine, or freshwater. I would be reluctant to venture a guess as to it's aquarium demeanor, as puffer personalities can vary greatly between species, and even between individuals within the same species.

What I was able to find out though, is that they are colonial in the wild, but if one gets trapped in a smaller body of water, such as a tidal pool, it will kill any fish it's size or smaller. So it may not make a great fish to be kept in a community.
Oh wow, that's a bit heavy. Thanks for the heads up. So that would need a species only tank hey. One day aha

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In tanks 100+ gallons they will.
I'm only really used to freshwater tanks, but a 4x2x2 being roughly 114g does that sound appropriate for this mix of fish? Another I had in mind is the 6 bar or Hardwicke Wrasse.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only really used to freshwater tanks, but a 4x2x2 being roughly 114g does that sound appropriate for this mix of fish? Another I had in mind is the 6 bar or Hardwicke Wrasse.
That should be fine. A hardwicke will mix with these.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back