Melanurus wrasse acting weird

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Details:
He's a male, had him for about 6 months. Only other tank inhabitants are a clown, chromes and tail spot blenny.

Past two days he's been chasing his own reflection in the glass and kicking up sand covering up corals on the lower level. Kinda of annoying because I come home and my favia's are covered and my torch is on its side.

Seems to only do this in one area and I've even considered trapping him in a bottle and getting rid of him.

Is there anything I can do to stop this behavior? Is this normal and will it past?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He sees his reflection as a rival. He is trying to chase it away. They can get pretty worked up doing it.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He sees his reflection as a rival. He is trying to chase it away. They can get pretty worked up doing it.
Yup
Is there anything I can do to stop this behavior?
If it's in one particular area of the tank, you can temporarily put some white paper on the outside of the tank to kill the reflection.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yup, mine swims aggressively up and down repeatedly going after his reflection in the tank. Fortunately that's about as far as it's gotten. Then again, I only have a juvie.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back