Melanurus Wrasse with NO SAND BED

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is about bare bottom tanks, but go ahead and put sand in your QT's. Here's a recent thread by Humblefish on the topic:

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at it like giving the dog a blanket and pillow. I have large gravel, and lots of rock . But the dog/fish might like a blanket to sleep in . And a reptile water bowl with coralline algae on it would look nice to . Thx

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at it like giving the dog a blanket and pillow. I have large gravel, and lots of rock . But the dog/fish might like a blanket to sleep in . And a reptile water bowl with coralline algae on it would look nice to . Thx
Giving him a bowl for his natural sleeping environment and comparing it to a blanket? I just cant.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread . What about a reptile water dish that looks like rock . Wouldn’t it be better looking than a bowl .
Those who use a container or bowl typically strategically place it such that it is not really view-able - tucked behind some rocks, for example.
A reptile dish could theoretically work, but I would be slightly concern about what it's made from. Provided that material can withstand saltwater and won't leach anything you don't want in the water column, seems okay.
Just putting my 2 cents in, I wouldnt train a dog to go to its kennel every night. I'd train it to be able to live in its home without harm to it or its surroundings. Not saying it cant be done, just saying I dont think itd be fair for the animal...
I was thinking this post exactly. We spend hundreds and thousands to give our corals perfect conditions. Then fabricate bowls for fish. Try to do exactly what the fish would have in the wild. If you love it take care of it right.
I understand the point raised here, but I don't feel the analogy works here. Consider that on a natural reef, there's lots of rocky places and sometimes sand is isolated in pockets. Fish are adapted to finding those areas, and it's not much different with just a container in a tank.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to give that fish the best possible life, it needs sand. Can it survive without, sure. Do you have a spot you can hide a bowl of sand so its less visible in your aquascape if you dont like the look?

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who use a container or bowl typically strategically place it such that it is not really view-able - tucked behind some rocks, for example.
A reptile dish could theoretically work, but I would be slightly concern about what it's made from. Provided that material can withstand saltwater and won't leach anything you don't want in the water column, seems okay.

I understand the point raised here, but I don't feel the analogy works here. Consider that on a natural reef, there's lots of rocky places and sometimes sand is isolated in pockets. Fish are adapted to finding those areas, and it's not much different with just a container in a tank.

True but I never see anyone taking the fish and forcing it to go in to the sand stuck in the rock. They find those areas to hide to be safe. We took it from that safe area and put a bowl in our tank to represent that.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems cruel to me, to keep a fish in a tank that you know doesn't support his needs. I don't have any experience with using a tupperware or similar dish of sand long term.

Why not consider a fairy or flasher?
Thank you. I do not understand why we have spent so much time and effort to replicate ocean habitats then want to shove fish and or sand dwelling critters into tanks that can't meet their basic needs. It is sad really. I realize things CAN be done but SHOULD they?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of tang police , its wrasse police

Not my intention at all. I just think choosing critters that are appropriate for the environment you provide makes more sense. Conversely, if you want a particular fish, provide the best environment for it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back