Melanurus Wrasse with NO SAND BED

Lester Verano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to get a consensus on having a Melanurus Wrasse in a bare bottom tank. Whatever experiences can you share would be greatly appreciated by myself and many other forum members I'm sure. Thanks!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done any research, but from what I understand it would probably not be a good idea. I think the lack of sand to sleep in would overstress the fish.

Tompickles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a wrasse that use the sand bed to sleep but I have had one in a bare bottom tank for a few years and he did just fine. At night he would just get himself between the rock and glass to sleep

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always Dbl check & make sure what your fish needs before purchasing. Information is your best friend in this Hobby.

OP
OP
L

Lester Verano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a wrasse that use the sand bed to sleep but I have had one in a bare bottom tank for a few years and he did just fine. At night he would just get himself between the rock and glass to sleep
Always Dbl check & make sure what your fish needs before purchasing. Information is your best friend in this Hobby.
It sounds like he'll be ok for a while. I think an easy remedy is a piece of acrylic to glued into a section of my tank to add a little sand bed for him. I might or might not do that according to what I read here... They make a glue you can slap on to a piece of acrylic and go right in the water with it if you can believe it. Thanks for the replies.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like he'll be ok for a while. I think an easy remedy is a piece of acrylic to glued into a section of my tank to add a little sand bed for him. I might or might not do that according to what I read here... They make a glue you can slap on to a piece of acrylic and go right in the water with it if you can believe it. Thanks for the replies.
Other people have added something like a tupperware tub with sand in it also.

OP
OP
L

Lester Verano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other people have added something like a tupperware tub with sand in it also.
Yes, but come on, that's going to look terrible in your tank. I'd rather just throw some sand in between some reef rock in the corner than put Tupperware in my display ya know.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a timor wrasse in bare bottom. Also sand sleepers. I added a take out soup container with 3-4” of sand in it. He found it the first night and made it his crash pad. Every night he digs in. Yeah, it makes a mess stirring the sand up, but I just vac it out when do water changes and add some more as needed. Old Pic in the front left of tank. I moved it to hide it by the rocks in middle though.
6521E099-34FB-4F36-B08F-80CFE5C744B5.jpeg

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but come on, that's going to look terrible in your tank. I'd rather just throw some sand in between some reef rock in the corner than put Tupperware in my display ya know.
I know but as you see in the post right after yours it is done. And you can do it the way your thinking

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to get a consensus on having a Melanurus Wrasse in a bare bottom tank. Whatever experiences can you share would be greatly appreciated by myself and many other forum members I'm sure. Thanks!

Easy, NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!!! Yes, there are some to claim that a sand container will be sufficient for their needs long term but it's really not as they like to pick out different areas periodically to sleep. I've had one for over 2 years now and it definitely picks out different spots around my tank to bury in the sand. Going without sand with these fish is a really bad idea.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a jar of sand in each frag tank. They definitely sleep there at night. Not sure what neurosis this is causing but they look physically healthy.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread . What about a reptile water dish that looks like rock . Wouldn’t it be better looking than a bowl .

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just putting my 2 cents in, I wouldnt train a dog to go to its kennel every night. I'd train it to be able to live in its home without harm to it or its surroundings. Not saying it cant be done, just saying I dont think itd be fair for the animal...

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just putting my 2 cents in, I wouldnt train a dog to go to its kennel every night. I'd train it to be able to live in its home without harm to it or its surroundings. Not saying it cant be done, just saying I dont think itd be fair for the animal...

I was thinking this post exactly. We spend hundreds and thousands to give our corals perfect conditions. Then fabricate bowls for fish. Try to do exactly what the fish would have in the wild. If you love it take care of it right.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back