Melanurus Wrasse

msujohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to add a few Wrasse's and am intrigued with the melanurus. I've read that they eat all your snails and crabs. What do people use for a cuc?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are generally fine with CUC when small, but that can change as they grow. They also may (I stress may) eat shrimp and other crustaceans when they get large. My last one was a large male who eventually took a liking to escargot but left everything else alone. ;)

A lot of people just chance it and if they become a problem get them out. They are pretty hard to catch however - I had to use a bottle trap to get my last one out. FWIW; you don't necessarily have to maintain a CUC. It's debatable (at least IMHO) just how efficient snails/hermits are at consuming algae/detritus anyway. Some feel the perception that CUC is a "necessity" is just a well marketed ploy by those who sell them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
msujohn

msujohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are generally fine with CUC when small, but that can change as they grow. They also may (I stress may) eat shrimp and other crustaceans when they get large. My last one was a large male who eventually took a liking to escargot but left everything else alone. ;)

A lot of people just chance it and if they become a problem get them out. They are pretty hard to catch however - I had to use a bottle trap to get my last one out. FWIW; you don't necessarily have to maintain a CUC. It's debatable (at least IMHO) just how efficient snails/hermits are at consuming algae/detritus anyway. Some feel the perception that CUC is a "necessity" is just a well marketed ploy by those who sell them.

What type of cuc do you keep. I'm only 6 months into the hobby and learning. I have an assortment of snails and crabs. Really like the activity of the crabs.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of cuc do you keep. I'm only 6 months into the hobby and learning. I have an assortment of snails and crabs. Really like the activity of the crabs.

I got rid of all my hermits because I got tired of them eating my snails. I do miss all the activity with them though.

I really like sand dwelling snails and actually feel those can be quite useful to clean/aerate the sand bed. So, I guess I need to partially take back what I said. ;) I like nassarius snails (*LOVE* the Super Tongan) and fighting conchs.

For the rock/glass, I do keep a healthy stock of both Astraea & Ceriths. I'm breeding Banded Trochus in my (fishless) frag tank to move over to the main tank once they get big enough. Avoid Turbos ... they knock over coral frags.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large malanarus and a small mystery. Both are Said to eat cuc but there fine. I would assume they eat the eggs and babies a bit but don't kill any of my bigger stuff which I'm okay with.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.5%
Back