Melbourne Fl (area) reefer club?

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving to Palm Bay/Melbourne Florida area in the next 3 months. Any local clubs? I'm planning (dreaming) of a small-medium Nano (no more than 30g) and would like to join a local club if there is one. Orlando's a bit of a hike but I will if needed.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo! I'm in Melbourne, not part of any clubs and honestly don't know of any...been in the hobby for 8 years now. Maybe some other locals will chime in.

OP
OP
Oldsalt01

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanx for the shout back. Comin down from the Great White Northeast, mid-late May. Can't wait to set up the tank. Started in 1970 with an FO, on and off since with FOWLR's. Had my own install/maintenance co in the Ft Laud area 25 yrs ago. I've missed my tanks! Any recs for LFS's? Maybe we should start our own chapter?????? What r u running now? Anybody else in the Melbourne area interested?

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I always deal with "the little reef shop" in Melbourne. Guy named Alan is always real cool and has good stuff for good prices. I don't really bother with anyone else but nothing against the other shops, my system is 100 gallon mixed reef, mostly sps and zoa. Been the same system since I started. I'm down to try to start some type of club if there's nothing else.

OP
OP
Oldsalt01

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the LFS out in Indialantic or the one in West Melbourne? I learned, when I had the maintenance business to rely on my LFS for quality stock, equipment and recommendations and as I'm an old "noob" to the technology I fully intend to find a good LFS and stick with them. So, I'll take your rec under advisement. Thanx ever so.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing that, I've never really tried to scope anything out but I will check this out when I can...

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brevard Area Reef Society (BARS) is a good group. I am on that particular forum daily. They have monthly meetings that are a good opportunity to meet others and swap frags.

Orlando has a much more organized group. Orlando Reef Caretakers Association or ORCA. When i say 'organized', I mean that they charge dues and have lots of meetings. They have a dedicated forum and a club page on Reef Central.

As far as shops in the area go, there are several to choose from, but most are in the Melbourne area and will be very local to you. Little Reef Shop as stated above is a great one. The Mad Reefer is another. Live Tanks is yet another. All will be a short drive for you. There are several others that will be a little further away.

OP
OP
Oldsalt01

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx for the info. I'll be sure to check out the LFS's once we settle in. Lookin like late May now. We're psyched!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back