Merulina coral sliming

  • Thread starter Thread starter MurphyJ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MurphyJ

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 18, 2013
Messages
191
Reaction score
206
Location
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LFS had a wild Merulina colony for over a year. It was healthy but brown and not attractive, certainly not for the $149 they were asking. I had a credit so I asked about the coral and they sold it to me for $30 store credit. It has been in my tank for a month and I am slowly moving the frag rack so it gets more light. It is turning a nice neon green, has new growth and responds to feeding but it started sending out strings of slime all the time. Not just at feeding, I mean ALL the time. Looks like spider webs coming off it. Is this normal or is a neighbor stressing him? Nothing close to him but he is down current from some LPS. I wanted to place a SPS on the ledge above him but now I am concerned about the slime. Will this harm other SPS?

SG 1.026
Temp 76-78
Alk 8.5
Ca 460
MAG 1350
Nitrate 2
PO4 0
LED lights
SPS tank with 3 Euphyllia far away, few Zoas and few Mushrooms.
 
What Merulina do you have. The green one it seems. Can I see a pic? I have one as well and have never had slime happen. Out of the water even.
Good score btw. A highly underrated coral. Got mine free grew like crazy.
 
What Merulina do you have. The green one it seems. Can I see a pic? I have one as well and have never had slime happen. Out of the water even.
Good score btw. A highly underrated coral. Got mine free grew like crazy.
I'll try to get a pic for you. It calmed down after I moved a Zoa colony from up current. I guess the Zoas were trash talking the mushrooms.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new