Mesenterial filaments On Acropora. Good or Bad?

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been seeing what I believe to be Mesenterial filaments on some of my Acropora. I assumed there was something wrong with then until I started reading up on it and see it could be a feeding or stress response. Couldn’t put my finger on a cause and effect to it, but think I may have found something. As with most of us, I’m in a constant battle with Aiptasia. If they are where I can treat them with Aiptasia X, I do. All pumps and power heads off, cover them with Aiptasia X and wait 10-15 minutes to start all the pumps and power heads.

Now, I think I’m seeing a cause and effect. Used Aiptasia X this morning on 3 Aiptasia that were close together. Of course after I turn all the power heads back on, it blows the powdery Aiptasia x around the tank. Four hours later, I see several Acro’s showing the Mesenterial filaments out on the ends of the branches.

My question/concern is whether the Aiptasia X is causing a feeding response or stress response. If it’s stress, is it dangerous to them and would it be wise to change my method of Aiptasia control to something else. Or, is it a non issue and the corals are just doing their J.O.B. of protection and feeding.

Have been watching it for a couple of hours now and the Mesenterial filaments seem to be residing and going away.

Any thoughts from anyone?

The filaments are on other areas, but this is the best close up I could get.

IMG_3444.jpeg

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
In my experience, if any Aiptasia X, F Aiptasia or the like lands on or too near the acros, that flesh will be destroyed. I have lost full frags from one drop landing where I didn't see it.
I do believe what you're seeing is indeed a stress response.
@Battlecorals - Adam, do you have more you can add to this?

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds very possible. Only one coral seems to have been bothered by it, but that could be there is not enough flow around that coral and it settled on it. I really like how well the Aiptasia X works. Maybe for a work around, after I use it, I will blow all the acro a few times with a turkey baster a few times while the powder is being blown around to keep it off the corals. Usually dissapates in a few minutes.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try shutting down the pumps for the 15 minute period and then restarting them and see if the coral are reacting to the calm water? Lots of coral extend polyps when the flow gets stagnant ime.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try shutting down the pumps for the 15 minute period and then restarting them and see if the coral are reacting to the calm water? Lots of coral extend polyps when the flow gets stagnant ime.

Okay. I’ve also noticed a couple of Goni’s on the bottom close up after using the Aiptasia X. Could be the same stress response. My alternate Aiptasia removal technique for those on vertical ledges where the Aiptasia X won’t stay on them is to bury them with epoxy glue. That works great as well. Maybe I should consider making that my primary for all of them.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yes, be careful not to let it drip onto any other corals, they will all have a similar reaction.
It can also be an effective way to eliminate any unwanted palys or zoas if they start to proliferate too quickly.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, if any Aiptasia X, F Aiptasia or the like lands on or too near the acros, that flesh will be destroyed. I have lost full frags from one drop landing where I didn't see it.
I do believe what you're seeing is indeed a stress response.
@Battlecorals - Adam, do you have more you can add to this?
Interesting, I've had aptasia x drop all over my SPS. The monti digi gets upset for a day or two then goes back to normal. Big blob went right into my torch and no issues. Never had a problem with aptasia x blowing around in the tank.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Interesting, I've had aptasia x drop all over my SPS. The monti digi gets upset for a day or two then goes back to normal. Big blob went right into my torch and no issues. Never had a problem with aptasia x blowing around in the tank.
I haven't used aiptasia-x in a while, so perhaps it's just with F aiptasia.
Glad you didn't have any trouble with the torch! I've never had any land on my LPS, I try to be pretty careful.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used aiptasia-x in a while, so perhaps it's just with F aiptasia.
Glad you didn't have any trouble with the torch! I've never had any land on my LPS, I try to be pretty careful.
Yea I try to be very careful too but inevitably it ends up blowing around in the tank. I believe F aptasia is stronger then aptasia X and attacks the aptasia different inside also according to my LFS.

I've tried both and the big aptasia still laugh at me

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, be careful not to let it drip onto any other corals, they will all have a similar reaction.
It can also be an effective way to eliminate any unwanted palys or zoas if they start to proliferate too quickly.
Thanks. I forgot to give you an update on my daughter‘s name sake orchid. All the ones that she got appear to be a different variant and produced green and purple flowers. The one I got is the only one with the black flowers. Since it only produces one new pseudo bulb a year, it will be a few years before she can start dividing it. It only has two bulbs now and needs at least 4 strong bulbs to decide it. Slow process to get a bunch of them.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yea I try to be very careful too but inevitably it ends up blowing around in the tank. I believe F aptasia is stronger then aptasia X and attacks the aptasia different inside also according to my LFS.

I've tried both and the big aptasia still laugh at me
Berghias worked very well in my 55. The copperband does a good job in my 110.

Thanks. I forgot to give you an update on my daughter‘s name sake orchid. All the ones that she got appear to be a different variant and produced green and purple flowers. The one I got is the only one with the black flowers. Since it only produces one new pseudo bulb a year, it will be a few years before she can start dividing it. It only has two bulbs now and needs at least 4 strong bulbs to decide it. Slow process to get a bunch of them.
No worries! I appreciate the update, I'd love to see photos!

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghias worked very well in my 55. The copperband does a good job in my 110.

No worries! I appreciate the update, I'd love to see photos!

If you are an orchid nut like us, I would highly recommend checking out Fred’s operation. He owns Sunset Valley Orchids in Escondido Ca. Great guy. He travels all over the world giving lectures on Orchid breeding and cultures. Super guy and grows great orchids.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you are an orchid nut like us, I would highly recommend checking out Fred’s operation. He owns Sunset Valley Orchids in Escondido Ca. Great guy. He travels all over the world giving lectures on Orchid breeding and cultures. Super guy and grows great orchids.

Thanks!
flowers blooming GIF by Global Entertainment

edit: I think I've met him before. Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, PA has an Orchid Extravaganza every year in March, and I'm pretty sure I picked his brain or quite a while.
Told me, "You're not an orchid expert until you've killed your weight in orchids."
Luckily, I'm kinda little.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back