Messed up and increased phosphates

glooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made another post in another thread about how I messed up and added dry rock and skyrocketed my phosphate(0.9).

While I'm working on that I was curious about some algae issues. So before this I had some cyano and GHA in my system and algae on my glass.
However after my phosphates increased all of the nuisance algae is gone and my corals are now opening up more.

This doesn't make sense to me and am just curious what's going on. Shouldn't higher phosphates increase algae growth as well?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made another post in another thread about how I messed up and added dry rock and skyrocketed my phosphate(0.9).

While I'm working on that I was curious about some algae issues. So before this I had some cyano and GHA in my system and algae on my glass.
However after my phosphates increased all of the nuisance algae is gone and my corals are now opening up more.

This doesn't make sense to me and am just curious what's going on. Shouldn't higher phosphates increase algae growth as well?
Sounds about right to me. If you take in consideration that most test kits are quite inaccurate at lower residual you could of be under the optimal phosphates concentration before your phosphates incident, I never allow mine run below 0.5 to 0.1 for that same reason. Phosphates are essential to all organisms in our systems an sometimes we can limit the growth of some beneficial organisms by limiting it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.0%
Back